Converting to a SWG from Chlorine this week end

dwyerst

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 11, 2011
I have just purchased a AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital with RC-35/SC-36 Cell & Manifold DIG-36 / DIG-35 and plan on installing it this week end.

Prior to pressing start on this unit can anyone give me some input on what I need to be doing to the water? Do I just add salt?

I dont have all the water analysis numbers you have asked for at present. I have just ordered the test kit and will post them as soon as it arrives.

Any type of starting point would be appreciated.

Hopefully you ordered salt test strips. Before adding salt, check you existing salt level (it won't be zero since chlorine adds salt to your water) and then add enough salt to make up the difference between that result and the mid range of what your SWG calls for.

Wait 24 hrs for the salt to disolve, the kick the swg on. Post the test results when you can, and we'll fine tune from there :goodjob:

The salt sensor on the AutoPilot is quite good and if you setup your pool size in the configuration it will tell you how much salt you need to add.

The main thing is to add salt. Depending on your current CYA level you will probably also want to raise CYA up to around 80.

For lots of info on ideal chemical levels for use with a SWG see this article at Pool School.

Thanks for the fast responses!!

So just to confirm I have ordered the salt test strips but based on what Jason tells me I can use the Autopilot to do this? So I install the system, turn it on and then add the salt it tells me to add? Any estimation on how much salt I will need on initial start up?

I have read the articles you have recommended and they are a big help.

Ideally you should give it 24 hours to get a solid salt reading and add the amount of salt it says then.

I like to have salt test strips around, but I've found that the salt sensor in the AutoPilot is better as long as the water isn't too cold. Every now and then it is handy to have some salt test strips just so you can double check that the SWG hasn't lost it's mind, which does happen to a few unlucky people. In that situation having used salt test strips before and having some idea of how they compare to the SWG reading when everything is working is an advantage.

The amount of salt you will need will probably be somewhere between 100 lbs and 320 bs. If you just filled the pool from empty then closer to the high end of that range, if you have been using the pool for years without a SWG then more towards the lower end of the range.

Before believing the AutoPilot amount of salt to add number, double check that you entered your pool size correctly in the Installer menu.

Installed the system and couldn't be happier!! Went in easy and the menu's were easy enough to get through and set up.

One area that I found that was not really clear in the manual was that you have to specify the type of cell you have. Come factory preset for the 48 cell so you have to reset this if you have a different cell.

Overall I am very happy so far with the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.