Which Filter???

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
We have to make a decision on what filter package we should add to the 24' 54" above ground round pool (about 15,228 gallons of water) we are going to purchase. Our options are as follows:

-Hayward Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter with a 1.0 HP Swimpro pump

-Hayward 256t sand filter with 1.0 HP pump (hold 250lbs of sand) - $30 upgrade charge

-Hayward EC45 D.E. filter with a 1.5HP Matrix Pump - $160 upgrade charge

-Hayward EC65 D.E. filter with 1.0 pump - $400 upgrade charge

Originally I wanted a cartridge filter, but 150 sq ft is the biggest they offer. I'm not sure how these filters compare to each other since they are different types, and I can't seem to find specs on any of them since they are sold exclusively through a pool chain. Any and all suggestions and/or info on these filters would be greatly appreciated!

If those are your only options, I would vote for option 2 250lb sand filter with the 1hp pump. The DE would be nice, but not for the extra $400. See if they will make it a 2sp pkg. Also, FWIW a 24ft round with 54" walls will only hold about 13.5-14k gals of water. Your actual water depth will be about 48"

Ok, here goes a quick rundown:

Sand, traditional filter, the lowest cost of operation if you live somewhere with cheap water and a place to dump it, sand filters have to be backwashed frequently dumping hundreds of gallons of water out of the pool, they also tend to have the lowest quality of filtration.

Cartridge filters are the the in thing, some work better than others, some have disposable cartridges others can be cleaned, but still wear out, so cost of operation will be higher than sand if you have cheap water. Labor issue can be a bit higher than sand too, changing and hosing off/replacing filters.

DE filters result in the best water, but usually with a lot of work cleaning and coating the filters, however these are not traditional DE filters these are part of Haywards Perflex series of bumpable DE filters (I have an EC75), I tend to think the EC65 is too large for your pool, but the EC45 would likely be about right, although I would think the 1.5HP pump is too large, something seems backwards here they have the larger filter mated with the smaller pump. I like my EC75 so far, I am going into my second year with it, these use much less DE than traditional DE filters and thanks to the bumping, I only need to dump and replace DE about 3 times per year (my pool is indoors though, so you may need to do it more often). A lot of people around here don't like the Hayward perflex, and they have a reputation of getting torn finger tubes, from the research I have found online most of this is likely due to improper care, It is very important on these filters to "bump"/rejuvenate them whenever the pressure gets close to 10psi above the base coating level, letting it get too high can cause the tubes to blow out. This means daily or no more than every other day checking and bumping. This only takes a few seconds, but if you can't devote that time to checking every day, don't get one of these filters.

Note also I think the EC-45 has been discontinued in the last year or so, and has been replaced with the smaller EC-40 and larger EC-50

Ike

I have the Xstream Cart filter not the Voyager, and I love it. I swap out the cart every month or so, I have 2 carts 1 in the filter while the other gets cleaned. It takes me about 15-20 min to clean the cart with the hose.
The cart is never real dirty, I just like to keep it clean. I have had the carts 4 years and still look great. See if your dealer has the filter with a 1Hp 2 speed motor. That would be an ideal setup IMHO.

Thanks for all the great responses. Unfortunately, the store can not get a two speed pump except in a 2HP. Ideally I wanted the 200sq. ft. cartridge filter, but the store doesn't offer this either (I tried a number of times on both the two speed pump and the 200 sq ft filter). Ideally, I want the biggest filter I can get with the least amount of maintenenace. I figure I'll take the 1HP pump with whatever filter I decide on and buy a two speed down the road. Thanks again and keep the feedback coming!

What I would do, having been in your situation, is take a credit for the pump and filter and order my own. If I had known when I bought our pool and equipment what I know now (I bet you've never heard that before :) ) I would have taken whatever credit they would have given me and bought what I needed and wanted. A big Filter and a 2-speed pump.

Yup...I'd say they are yanking your chain. Ask them if you could pick up a few extra pool/filter combos at $190/piece...bet you you could make some nice coin re-selling them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks dman and Bama. I totally agree with your thoughts on the $190 creidt,but we're happy with the rest of the package they are offering. I see you both have sand filters.....are you happy with them? How do they both compare size, maintenance and performance-wise to the 256t 250lb Hayward sand filter I'm considering (Zea3 attached a link to specs, but it doesn't seem to be the same sand filter)? Do you add a cup of D.E. like some do? Thanks again!

I love my filter for a 24ft round pool, 250lb top mount pro series. I'm pretty sure Bama's is a 300lb filter.

IMO a sand filter is great for AGPs if water costs are not high and you don't do much night swimming. The only time you can physically see much difference in water clarity Sand vs. DE or Cart is at night with a pool light on.

The main down fall of a sand filter, is clearing a dirty/agae filled pull. It's still up to the task, but it will take longer to clear the water vs. a DE filter. The major pro is cleaning the filter takes 5 mins and the sand doesn't need to be changed for 5 years or some never change it at all. Follow our guidance and algae will rarely impact you (we all get lazy at times :oops: or experience equipment failure)

Here is a pic of the water clarity we get with a sand filter

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

Ditto what Dman said. Ours is a 300 lb unit and I only have to backwash about twice a year. Once right after oak bloom season (about now) and again at the end of the year.

I am seriously considering replacing our pump motor with a 2-speed even though it's working fine.

I do believe it would be a better choice than the cart of that size.

I tried adding the DE to it once but didn't have good luck. A lot of the DE passed through the filter. Possibly because of my high flow rate through the filter. Enough people have reported success with it that I see my experience as a fluke and in no way normal.

I never had the urge to use anything but sand...I may change my mind if I ever get an algae outbreak...but for now I'm happy with the sand. I previously had a DE filter (on another pool, prior to TFP or knowing water properly sanitized water was) and yes it filtered great, but almost too good for my own good...who knows what I was swimming in.

For example, my neighbor runs a DE filter and often times opens up to a soupy green pool in late spring. One bag of shock and 2 days of filtering, it still has a green tint to it, but it's pretty darn clear. He tends to think that's enough, but you won't catch me in that pool. :shock:

Keeping your water chemistry in check is far more important than the type of filter you run...IMO

One word of caution against sand filters is if you are planning on replacing the pump and filter with something else down the line then depending on the design they can be a real pain to empty or move if not emptied. The DE or Cartridge filter will be much easier to move, think of the difference between a typical trash can vs a typical trash can filled with water (well sand in this case). My pool always had sand filters until switching to the Perflex DE filter a couple of years ago (I found it new in the box with a pump on ebay for a very good price during the winter months, my old pump motor had died, and this combo was only about $100 more than the going price of the pump alone), since that time many people have commented on how clear the water is, sure before people would say nice pool or something, but now its like, WOW how do you get the water so clear. Sure this is comparing a new DE filter against a sand filter that had not had the sand changed in 4 or 5 years, but still it was surprisingly visible, even when the water seemed clear to start. Having said that I have used sand filters for many years, they work, they are cheap, and in general less work, just don't expect the same result out of them as a DE filter.

Ike

Ike, I hear ya and excellent point on the weight issue, but I'd argue the current clarity has much to do with TFP and proper chemistry, more than the type of filter. Yes, as DE filter can filter down to 5 micron, but unless you have a light on in the water at night, I'd bet you you couldn't tell my water apart from a pool with a DE filter with the naked eye in daylight.

Folks that come over the house are shocked when I tell them I have a sand filter..."wow, your water is so clear, I thought sand filters were not that good" :scratch:

I also have a sand filter, but I add a little DE to the filter. Setup that way my water is as crystal clear as any I have ever seen. Now and then I run it without adding any extra DE for a while just to see what happens and the difference is very very small, though I can see it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.