stronger filter for vinyl pool

bunkey

Sep 17, 2007
Hi, new to group. I have a 5500 gallon vinyl pool that I'm trying to get crystal clear again. Filter clogged for a few days and I did'nt know it. got a lot of green algae. Keeping cholorine high and ph good and used algacide, clarifier, shock as per my pool store. Water got better, just cloudy now.The filter is just a single cartridge that has to be cleaned several times a day, but don't know how to get that crystal clear water again. LIve in OK, where it is still in the 90's and a lot of sun.
Thank you.
Bunkey

Bunkey, welcome to TFP!!

You're doing the right things - clean the filter when the pressure gauge rises 5psi, and keep adding bleach.

Full test #s would let us give you more specific advice, the problem may well have been caused by the pool store's advice and chem dosing :(

Please post your chem levels and we'll give you better advice than your pool store -- again, welcome here!

Thanx for your reply. About the filter/pump, there is no psi info...it is just water from the pool thru the cartridge and back into the pool. My pool store only tests ph and chlorine, and that is what I test for. i do have a dip test that has more color tests, but do they work? What test kit do you recommend. I may only have a few weeks til my pool has to come down and I am determined to get it sparkling again! I got the pool at walmart and wonder if there is a bigger pump/filter for these type pools. This one just doesn't seem to be able to keep up.
Thanks for any advice
Bunkey

I'm not sure if your filter is similar enough but this thread has a suggestion for improving some above ground pool filters.

Test strips are better than nothing but they tend to give different numbers each time you use them. The TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature, is an excelent test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.