Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stronger filter for vinyl pool

1. Back To Top    #1

stronger filter for vinyl pool

Hi, new to group. I have a 5500 gallon vinyl pool that I'm trying to get crystal clear again. Filter clogged for a few days and I did'nt know it. got a lot of green algae. Keeping cholorine high and ph good and used algacide, clarifier, shock as per my pool store. Water got better, just cloudy now.The filter is just a single cartridge that has to be cleaned several times a day, but don't know how to get that crystal clear water again. LIve in OK, where it is still in the 90's and a lot of sun.
    Thank you.
    Bunkey
    1998 Royal Pool
    21000 gal 16x32 gunite + spa
    Aqualink RS6
    Jandycolors digital pool light

2. Back To Top    #2

Bunkey, welcome to TFP!!

You're doing the right things - clean the filter when the pressure gauge rises 5psi, and keep adding bleach.

Full test #s would let us give you more specific advice, the problem may well have been caused by the pool store's advice and chem dosing

Please post your chem levels and we'll give you better advice than your pool store -- again, welcome here!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

stronger filter for vinyl pool

Thanx for your reply. About the filter/pump, there is no psi info...it is just water from the pool thru the cartridge and back into the pool. My pool store only tests ph and chlorine, and that is what I test for. i do have a dip test that has more color tests, but do they work? What test kit do you recommend. I may only have a few weeks til my pool has to come down and I am determined to get it sparkling again! I got the pool at walmart and wonder if there is a bigger pump/filter for these type pools. This one just doesn't seem to be able to keep up.
    Thanks for any advice
    Bunkey
    1998 Royal Pool
    21000 gal 16x32 gunite + spa
    Aqualink RS6
    Jandycolors digital pool light

4. Back To Top    #4
    I'm not sure if your filter is similar enough but this thread has a suggestion for improving some above ground pool filters.

Test strips are better than nothing but they tend to give different numbers each time you use them. The TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature, is an excelent test kit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School