New Solar Heating

Apr 13, 2011
Los Banos, CA
Hello all,
I purchased a house 4 years ago with a ~12000 gallon in ground pool. In that time we have replaced a motor on our Hayward induction (?) pump (1hp) and put in a sand filter. We=the pool guys who take care of our pool. We are having installed a solar heating system on our two story house. Although two story, the house has some one story roofing and the overall system is probably averaging 1.5 stories. My pool guys say the pump and the sand filter can't handle this due to back pressure from the solar system being so high up. The solar people says it will be no problem, althought recommend replacing the pump with a variable speed pump (Pentair-intelliflo). My pool guys say that if I insist upon doing this that I should insist on 3" lines going up to the roof. I am doing my best to become educated in the matter in order to make the best decision. Any advice/information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

To some extent it depends on what pump and filter you have right now, but two stories is within the capabilities of most 1 HP in-ground pumps and just about any filter. Also using 3" pipe is crazy unless you are getting 20+ solar panels. From the pumps point of view, what matters is the height of the very top of the solar system, not the average height.

If you can provide the following information, it will help us assist you:

1) Make, model, horsepower and service factor (S.F on motor data plate) of pump.
2) Make and model of filter.
3) Flow rate required for the solar panels minimum and maximum.
4) How high is the highest point of the roof above the pump?
5) How far is it from the pump to the house?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post. Here are the specifics requested:
Top of house 20'
Pump to house 36'
Although a Hayward pump, it has and Emerson motor, model 1081, 1 HP, SF 1.4
6xHeliocol solar panels 4'x12.5' 90 PSI Working, 270PSI burst, 5gpm flow
A Suntouch Solar Automation system
Hayward Sand Filter Model S244T

Thanks again for the help.

What is the pump model?

What is your current filter pressure without the solar?

The S244T filter does not handle higher pressure well. The solar will add about 10 psi to your current filter pressure.

You might do better with a smaller filtration pump (or two speed pump) and adding a high head pump to pull after the filter. The 1/2 H.P Challenger would probably work well. The Challenger would act as a booster pump to operate the solar similar to how a booster pump works to operate a pressure side cleaner.

I don't see any serious problems running with the current pump and filter. The pump should be able to handle this without any problems. The filter is rated for 40 psi, and the likely pressure is around 25-30 psi. You can improve the electric usage with a dual pump setup, such as the one JamesW is proposing, but it isn't clear to me that it would payback the initial investment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.