Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New liner/closing

1. Back To Top    #1

New liner/closing

We just had our pool repaired and replaced the liner and filled it with water to just below the jets.
    What I'm wondering is what I need to do now before I close it.
    I'm assuming chlorinate it and possibly an algecide?
    It's a 100,000 liter pool. How much of these am I adding and is there anything else I should be doing to the water
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deena
    http://www.lindbrookstargazer.ca
    100,000 liter IG vinyl liner
    Rolachem Chlorine & Muratic acid Auto feeders/Pool Perfect Auto feeder
    Pentair 30" filter (Tagelus) Sand filter/Centruion switchless pump 1.5/.25 HP

2. Back To Top    #2
    Ideally you want to do a standard closing, which means adjusting PH, shocking, and adding an algicide. The only trick is that all three of those require some circulation. If you have a cover pump, or some other small pump that can get some circulation going you will be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason
    I'll drop a pump in there and get the chemicals in. Do I need to wait any length of time before I put the winter cover on?
    Ok, just took the numbers
    FC .29
    TC 1.49
    PH 7.8 ( Is that ok or should I drop it)
    Alk 110
    Thanks for your help
    Deena
    http://www.lindbrookstargazer.ca
    100,000 liter IG vinyl liner
    Rolachem Chlorine & Muratic acid Auto feeders/Pool Perfect Auto feeder
    Pentair 30" filter (Tagelus) Sand filter/Centruion switchless pump 1.5/.25 HP

4. Back To Top    #4
    I would shock the first day and finish closing the second day.

I would bring the PH down to closer to 7.5.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Deena, glad to hear your pool is good to go!!

I would say that your pH of 7.8 is fine for the winter, you can lower it next spring when you open. I'm not disagreeing with Jason, but you can get the pH where you want it next year as you're adjusting the water for the first swim of 2008 . 7.8 is at the top of the 'acceptable' range, but I'd rather have the pH sit high rather than low - if there's any chance of 7.0 or lower pH water entering the pool, I'd keep it on the high side.

Sorry your pool season is over Have a great winter and we'll see you back here next spring
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)