How to replace Jandy AquaPure 1400?

jstan

Aug 4, 2010
Split off of this topic. JasonLion

I just did a replacement of the 1400. My old one was square in shape, which is pictured below:

IMG_0360.JPG

The new one is rounded like this image below.
chlorinators_jandy_purelink_kit.jpg

The black ring that secures the cell on each side was different in size, so I had to cut out the 2" PVC around it and rebuild the plumbing to accept the new end connectors.

Now I have the new one in, and went to connect the wires to the controller, and "low and behold" the wire colors have changed! My old square cell had a green single wire, and then two others that were joined together (white/black).

I contacted Zodiac (formerly Jandy) through their contact form http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Support/Contact.aspx, and this is the response I received within a few hours.

---------
ME: I bought a new Purelink cell PLC1400 to replace my old one. The old one was square, this new one is rounded. the wiring in the controller is requesting a green wire, while the new part has a blue wire. Please let me know what do do.

ZODIAC POOL SYSTEMS: I'll be glad to assist here. The DC cable colors have changed. The PCB board will list a green which goes to the red on the cable and the black/white on the PCB goes to the blue/black on the cable. Please let me know if this make sense or if I can further assist.

ME: Great, that is how I have attached. Does the old PCB board work with the new 1400 cell?

ZODIAC POOL SYSTEMS: Yes it will work.

ME: Any advantages in upgrading to the new PCB board firmware-wise?

ZODIAC POOL SYSTEMS: No advantage, it will still work the same.

Tech Contact that answered my emails.
JOE GEIDNER
Technical Support Representative
Zodiac Pool Systems, Inc.
2620 Commerce Way
Vista, CA 92081
[email protected]
Office: (800) 822-7933, ext. 3280
Fax: (800) 479-8324
---------

The thing I'm calling the controller is the box in this image:
jandy-aqua-pure-salt.jpg

Old wires (from old square cell):
IMG_0358.jpg

New wires (from rounded 1400 cell) plugged in:
IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

And if your wondering, the sensor plugged in just find, see the new sensor wires plugged in here:
IMG_0362.JPG

Reactions: d.w.b
Don't forget to PUT THE RING COUPLER with THREADS ON the PVC PIPE BEFORE gluing the end connectors on!!! I did forget, but instantly pulled off before the PVC cement was dry and was able to recover without ordering a new part... phew!

BTW, the Jandy Purelink Cell 1400 3-Port 16' Cord 1.5 Abs Unions cost me $659 on poolcenter.com SKU: PLC1400, LMK if you know a better place to purchase things like this for less.

Thanks for the great posting and photos for this installation. I was trying to figure out how to make it fit and now realize that I must cut out the two sections and replace with the two slightly larger black pvc connectors. :eek: I was hoping I could just replace the old cell without any new plumbing work.

Hi - I'm attaching to this old thread because I'm trying to change the same salt cell. I ordered it last week. I received it and on the cell power cord there are only 2 cables - each with the spade type connector. There is a BLUE cable and a RED cable ONLY. Now does it matter which these are plugged into on the board in the picture of the original thread (there is labelling for black/white, and for green earth). Obviously mine does not correspond. I plugged it in, but it just has the LED light against Cell Reversing, if I have the chlorinator % above zero.

I guess my main question is - where is the black cable and is it ok that it is not there?

Any help you can provide is MUCH appreciated.

Many thanks.

Nick

I just changed the flow sensor on mine and the cable. I believe that blue should go where green when and red should go where blackwhite went. Doesn't really make sense but I'm pretty sure thats how mine is now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.