leak in Pump Housing Gasket

ChrisL

Apr 3, 2007
Hi folks, I have a leak in the pump housing gasket of a Superpump. A fine stream is shooting out between the pump strainer housing and the seal plate. I have the Seal Change instructions from Hayward. My question is: Do I have to, or should I change out the seal assembly and the diffuser gasket at the same time I replace the pump housing gasket? or should I not worry about these if nothing has gone wrong with them? My pump is about five years old and I use the pool about six months a year. Thanks for any input. Chris

Chris, in my experience, if you take the motor out of the housing, it's best to replace the shaft seal. If you only have to replace the housing gasket and don't play with the impeller, you may not have to change the seal. However, I'd say that the housing gasket is not the cause of the leak, the seal assembly is! If you care to take the time to open and reopen the pump, you can try to just do the housing gasket.

Part #s:

Housing gasket is SP-1600-T
Seal assembly: SP-1600- C- 1

If you need any help on doing the change, and I wouldn't trust the Hayward instructions, just ask :)

I successfully pulled the pump apart and replaced all of the seals. Waste, you were right to replace the seals as well as the housing gasket. there was evidence of a slow leak in the seal. The only problem I encountered was rusted screws on the motor cover. One broke off and, if I get a rattle or vibration, I will have to drill it out and replace. The pump now runs more quietly and with no leaks. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.