Please Help Me Choose an Intex AGP

Mar 25, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been lurking here collecting info to help me choose an AGP. Because of limited funds we're going with an Intex Ultra & the biggest size we can fit is an 18' x 52".
Because of what I've read I'd eventually like to add a SWG(althought my husband is afraid it will be too salty) if the work of clorine becomes too much & it sounds like a sand filter would be a good add on down the line.
Here are my choices as I see them.
Intex Ultra with 2500gph CARTRIDGE filter
Intex Ultra with 1500gph SWG, when I called Intex I was told I cant upgrade the filter when it comes as a SWG package so I'd be stuck with this 1500gph
Intex Ultra with 1600gph SAND Filter

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

FYI we live in Phoenix AZ

If those were my 3 choices, I would stick with the sand option and you could always add the intex swg on later. Crookm11 has the intex/sand filter and seems to be pretty happy with it. IMO, intex cartridge filters are a pain to deal with when preblems arise vs. being able to backwash a sand filter...but that's just my opinion FWIW.

Here is a neat little thread he compiled a few days ago, that might be of interest to you :goodjob:

useful-links-for-fellow-intex-pool-owners-t29612.html

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

As dmanb2b has said I do like my Intex sand filter. As with you I'm limited on my funds. I had the cart filters and they are a pain in the you know what when it comes to clearing a pool with algea and the pumps are not up to par for the task.
Sand filters IMO are the way to go weather you have the Intex model or other brand. Intex makes two different size sand filter/pump combos. The 1600 GPH Sand filter (14") you have listed is the smaller filter and pump. I would get the 2100 GPH sand filter (19"). Hope this helps.
pooldeck33.jpg

:cheers:

Thanks for the welcome & for the answers.

crookm11, a few questions if you don't mind. My husband wants to know if that's a separate timer at the bottom of the photo. Also, were you able to buy the pool with the 2100gph sand filter or did you upgrade from the original? What size SWG do you have & what in addition do you have to add to your pool besides the stabilizer(to keep the clorine, right?)

I'm going to call Intex today to make sure if we bought the Ultra that comes with the 1500gph(local so no shipping charges) could we add the 2100gph sand filter without retrofitting.

Upgrade now. trust me if you are going to go that big on the gallons/size do not try to get by with anything less.

On the SWG - you won't taste the salt. Worth it in the long run. disconnect the copper ionizer portion found on the new units. I think I read on here that saltwater in the ocean is like 30,000 ppm and in the pool its only about 3,000 and you won't taste it. I've swam in swg pools and do not taste salt. water feels great, but I don't know if that's just the power of suggestion or not lol :)

Try looking online (craigslist, ebay...) for a lightly used pump/filter. I got mine off of Ebay, it is a "real" pump and filter. A little large on the motor, but the filter is great. I really prefer the real cartridge filter, (not the intex ones, they are junk) I swap mine out every month, takes about a 15-20 min to clean. I am adding the SWG this summer, makes maintence that much simpler.

I have an Intex Ultra Frame 16 x 48 that came with an Intex 1500 pump. After doing a lot of research I knew upgrading to a larger pump was a must. (bought an Intex 2500 pump on Amazon for $100 and sold the 1500--didn't even open it up-- for $65). It made all the difference.

I had a trouble free season thanks to this site. Used the BBB method. Vacuumed once a week on a normal basis, more often when the pollen was heavy as I live in Ohio.

The only change I am making this year is going with the Unicel cartridge instead of Intex cartridges (I got 10 for $10 last year on craigslist.)

As for the Intex pool itself, I discovered a small hole when I filled it, but the patch kit that came with the pool did the trick. It is a great pool if you do not or cannot invest money into a more permanent pool. The take down was INCREDIBLY easy, too.

Good luck!

Actually, you can reassure your husband that the pool would not be too salty. In fact, the salt water chlorinator has less salt than a tear drop (The salt in human tears is at 0.9% while the chlorinator is at 0.3%).

You do need a pump of 1500 gal/hr or greater - however, there are several combined units including the brand new 2650 gal/hr sand filter/saltwater chlorinator combo for about $500. Clearly there are more options, but I just wanted to give you a ballpark to work with. The benefit to using sand versus traditional filter cartridges is that within the first summer the sand will pay for itself with the savings - as you move towards the end of the summer you will endure higher costs as the need for filter cartridges increases, and as you need more to continue to keep your pool clean.

I hope this helps, have a great day!

lovemy3azboys said:
Thanks for the welcome & for the answers.

crookm11, a few questions if you don't mind. My husband wants to know if that's a separate timer at the bottom of the photo. Also, were you able to buy the pool with the 2100gph sand filter or did you upgrade from the original? What size SWG do you have & what in addition do you have to add to your pool besides the stabilizer(to keep the clorine, right?)

I'm going to call Intex today to make sure if we bought the Ultra that comes with the 1500gph(local so no shipping charges) could we add the 2100gph sand filter without retrofitting.
Hello,

I'm not sure what you mean by separate timer? If you are refering to the SWG then yes the SWG has a separate timer from the pump. The pool did not come with the sand filter in the picture. I had to buy it separately. The new sand filter/pump does come with the SWG included with the pump but it will have the copper added to the unit. The SWG in the picture is the pre-2010 model with out the copper. I also have an extra one as a backup for when this unit goes bad. The sand filter in the picture will have no problems being added to your pool. No modifications will be neeeded.
:cheers:

lovemy3azboys: Anything 1500 gal/hr pump and higher comes with an automatic timer - sand filter pump, filter cartridge pump as well as the combination pumps. Free shipping is also standard with a lot of pool suppliers, go ahead and google my username and use promotion code - discount10% - to help you save even more.

If you added the sand filter you would NOT have to retrofit, as they both utilize the 1.5" diameter inlet/outlet holes in a pool of that size. It's the smaller pools with 1.25" holes that have to retrofit.

The SWG only comes in one dynamic, there aren't different sizes. The sizes only matter with the actual filter pump. If you have any other questions I could easily help you out with any of these as I do work with these pools monday through friday.

Happy shopping! - Cool Inflatables

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you to everyone who responded. So thankful to have found this site, otherwise I'm guessing I'd have to learn the hard way, yikes!

I'm not sure what you mean by separate timer? If you are refering to the SWG then yes the SWG has a separate timer from the pump. The pool did not come with the sand filter in the picture. I had to buy it separately. The new sand filter/pump does come with the SWG included with the pump but it will have the copper added to the unit. The SWG in the picture is the pre-2010 model with out the copper. I also have an extra one as a backup for when this unit goes bad. The sand filter in the picture will have no problems being added to your pool. No modifications will be neeeded.
I believe my husband thought the SWG was a timer itself. Thanks for the clarification.
Why dont I want the copper in the newer unit? I've seen it mentioned but havent run across why people dont like it.
Thanks for your answers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.