Cleaning Liner In Empty Pool and Filter Questions

Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys! Awesome site, thanks for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. We have drained our ag pool for a couple of reasons. Primarily we have a big wrinkle that holds gunk and I'm hoping to stretch it out. While it's empty we are going to clean the liner. I have read on here not to use bleach, but was wondering about what we should use. I am also wondering about the filter we have. I have to change the stupid cartridge every year at $105 a pop. We've tried all sorts of ways of cleaning them, but they always seem to deteriorate and tear anyways. I'm looking at getting a D.E. filter, but I'm curious if they're worth the $400-$500 cost up front when a sand filter might do fine. We have a 2 speed pump and run it on low 24/7. Could that be a problem on the filter? And finally, is the filter flow rate right for my size pool?

Welcome to TFP.

You can dilute the bleach a lot and clean the liner, but I'd just wait till you fill it and give it a good brushing with the FC a little higher than normal.

Tell us what size your cartridge filter is?
And whatever other equipment that you know?
A larger filter is always a good idea, whether it's a sand, DE or cartridge.

Bama the state not the team if that makes it better. go Vols
You could list the size and brand etc of all your equipment in your sig.

In order of ease of maintenance;
Sand filter
D.E. Filter
Cartridge filter

As I said, whichever filter you decide to go with, larger is better. An no running your pump 24/7 on low doesn't hurt your filter.

I have a 150sf filter and run my pump 24/7 on low. Had the pool 10 years and just bought my 3rd filter cartridge so you should not need to replace every year. How often are you cleaning them, via a "hose down" and what method are you using to do that? Once a year at the end of the season I do a "soak" via the instructions in pool school before I store it for the winter. But I only started doing that 2 years ago. Before that we would just hose it off every 5-6 weeks or so.

Are you using a pressure washer or similar? Not trying to harp on it but I should last longer than that and if you are running your pump on low that shouldn't be harming the filter at all.

teapot said:
125 GPM, that cannot be right can it?
The flow rating of the filter has nothing to do with how much the pump is actually moving through the filter.

teapot said:
How many skimmers floor drains are there, a skimmer will only flow just over 1000 gallons/hour
I think you may be mistaken on this. 1000 gph is only 16.7 gpm. I only have one skimmer and am flowing about 50 gpm through it.

We do the hose down method most often and usually rinse and use our hands to seperate the pleats and clean out the slime. We also do the soak once a year. We have tons of pollen from about April til late June early July so maybe we have to clean more than "normal"? We can't find tears in the filter, but after about a year we can clean it and still see the greenish yellow pollen spraying out from the return. It's bypassing the filter or going through it. We replace the filter and it corrects that.

Bama Rambler said:
teapot said:
125 GPM, that cannot be right can it?
The flow rating of the filter has nothing to do with how much the pump is actually moving through the filter.

teapot said:
How many skimmers floor drains are there, a skimmer will only flow just over 1000 gallons/hour
I think you may be mistaken on this. 1000 gph is only 16.7 gpm. I only have one skimmer and am flowing about 50 gpm through it.
Thanks Bama, yes I did mis read filter flow for sytem expectation :oops:
The second point though, there is a popular brand of skimmer in Europe Certikin that states it's max flow at 1188 us gallons (19.8 gpm coverted from 4.5m3) one reason why I don't fit their product. The hayward skimmer still max's out at 44 US gpm and that will be under ideal conditions and as we have seen discussed with 1 1/2" pipe that isn't ideal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I figured out what caused the wrinkle. The ground under my deck was collapsing in on the side of the pool. So I got to crawl under in about 1o inches of space and dig out 1/2 a ton of wet dirt with a little flower planting shovel. Nice.Thanks pool installers. Got a SWG on the way too! No more getting weird looks in walmart buying all their bleach. Looking for a sand filter now. It's gonna be a good summer!!! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.