Thanks...and I'll try to keep the faith.

belgique

LifeTime Supporter
Last year I did almost everything you guys said to do and I had nothing but problems. The clue is I didn't do everything you guys said to do: why brush the pool and stir up the algae...that's dumb...I want it to settle so I can see the bottom. Wrong.

This year I am determined to keep the faith. The siren song of the pool store algae killer on my shelf is being ignored. Instead, I'm up 45 gals of 12% chlorine and it is starting to clear. I was (and still am) at 0 CYA so that is the reason for so much but finally got some and hopefully in the next few days it'll come up and the chlorine demand will fall off.

New folks, do everything the experts say...everything. Thanks experts!

That's a good point and one I realized after I had already dumped a lot of chlorine. I read somewhere (Pool School?) that it takes a few days to get CYA up so I was afraid to quit since it was killing the algae and I was afraid that the algae would come back. I can see the bottom, albeit hazy, and when I sweep, there is very little green/brown stuff clouding up.

The dilemma is do I quit trying to stay at shock level until the CYA comes up or do I keep dumping chlorine? I'm fortunate, I think, to be able to get 15 gal drums of 12% for $2.95/gal.

I don't know how long it's been since you added the CYA. It WILL take a few days for it to register. Don't quit now! Just maintain shock level for the level of CYA you added, keep the pump running, and watch the pressure for backwashing as NECESSARY. Quit when you pass the overnite FC drop test.

dmanb2b said:
Bel...can you post a full set of test results? We'll get you on the road to recovery :goodjob:
Thanks! It's looking even better this AM. I just started adding CYA yesterday so it is taking hold. The numbers:

FC - 13 (Wow!…first time it held this level over night…it dropped a little but not much...I didn't do the precise overnight test)
CC or TC – 2 (a first…zero up til now)
pH 7.8
TA - Total Alkalinity 260
CH - Calcium Hardness 240
CYA - 20? Guessing…the dot was almost totally gone when full. Yesterday it never disappeared

1730 Update:
Lost zero chlorine during the day!
CYA=35.
Pool is blue...no green tinge...and getting clearer by the hour. I know: keep sweeping and keep it at shock until it passes the overnight test.
This is the easiest opening ever. :party:

The pH might be reading high due to the high chlorine level. However, if it is correct, it might be contributing to the cloudiness. If you can lower the pH a little bit, I think that it would help the process of clearing the pool.

Once you get your chlorine under control, you should begin lowering the TA to at least less than 150 ppm.

What is your water temperature?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.