Fiberglass Pool with Swim Machine Install in Austin, TX

Jun 29, 2010
Austin, TX
We (my wife and I) are just starting an install of a small fiberglass pool that will have a swim current machine installed. I've been on the site for a while asking various pool related questions, and it has been a great help with my pool equipment selections.

I'm adding a few pictures of the progress so far. I'm also adding a drawing of the fiberglass pool shell with a swim current machine installed so you can see what the end results "should" look like.

It will be a partially in ground install with a knee wall built around the shell that is above ground. The knee wall will be tiled with dark tiles and will be capped with 12"x24" coping stones. The deck you see in the picture will be rebuilt to extend right up to and be flush with the edge of the pool. So from the deck it will be like getting in and out of a fully in ground pool.

Digging started last week but we had a set back on Saturday. The pool shell arrived at the house and the factory had pre-cut the skimmer hole (which they were not supposed to). They had cut the skimmer hole in the exact location where the mounting bracket for the swim machine needs to go. So the shell was useless to us, which is unfortunate because other than the skimmer hole it was beautiful. Initially the fiberglass pool dealer tried to convince us they could patch the hole, but I was having none of that. Luckily the fiberglass pool dealer is not giving us a hard time and is ordering us a new shell. It will take 1 to 2 weeks for a new shell to arrive. Not too bummed, as I would rather things go slower and get done right than go fast and shoddy.

In the meantime the pool builder will continue with setting most of the equipment on the pads so I might get a few more progress pictures added before the shell arrives.

On a side note, I read a few posts that mention how much dirt comes out of these holes. Even so, I never thought a hole this small (in comparison to a full size pool) would produce so much dirt. I never expected 3 and a half dump trunk loads.

What we are getting:
swimcurrent.jpg

Dig Site:
pool_dig1.jpg

Green monster for digging.
pool_dig2.jpg

Digging in Progress
pool_dig3.jpg

Digging Complete
pool_dig4.jpg

New shell has arrived and been set in the pool. In my excitement I did not take any still pictures of the pool being set. Instead I took a 3 minutes video. I'll see about posting that later. For now here are some progress pictures.

More yard destruction with the gravel delivery.
Img_6697.jpg

Screed-ed gravel base.
Img_6698.jpg

Equipment location.
Img_6703.jpg

It was dark by the time the workers left so these are the best pictures I could get.

Equipment plumbed.
Img_6710.jpg

Pool set in hole and plumbed.
Img_6708.jpg

Another pool shot.
Img_6716.jpg

Finally some real progress to post. We've actually been able to swim in the pool 3 times before having to lower the water for inside tile install.

The swim machine motor has been placed and all the electrical and gas line work is done:
fastlaneMotor.jpg

Here the knee wall is almost completed with cement backer board in place:
kneeWall1.jpg

Knee wall in progress on this side:
kneeWall2.jpg

Top stone placement in progress:
topStone1.jpg

topStone2.jpg

Top stone completed and outside wall tile started:
outsideTile.jpg

Inside and outside tile completed:
insideTile1.jpg

insideTile2.jpg

We can raise the water tomorrow and get the pool vacuumed and cleaned up. Then we can use it again! Just waiting on the pool cover to be installed and the yard to be graded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.