How to remove significant calcium scale

blakeusa

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2010
Ashford, CT
My friends pool has developed a very rough surface over the past two years. I do not think he managed the chemicles well and maybe let the PH run too high as well as used unfiltered well water to top off on a regular basis. No agents were used.

Anyway he is now looking at draining, acid wash, and using the Aquaglide system to polish and remove the deposits
http://www.aquaglide.com/aquaglide_machines.asp

Does this sound like a good solution -- ANY ideas would be appreciated.

This is a 30k gal plaster pool/grey that is about 5 years old.

That looks exactly like This Pneumatic angle grinder if you atached a water hose and made the little "C" shaped shield for it.

From the grammar errors on that page I don't have a good feeling about the product.

I'd see what the acid wash did before I invested in the grinder.

Re: How to remove significant calcium scale- help

Ok we did finally get to acid wash today - and it only removed about 50-60% of the scale and build-up. Never got to this last year so it's worse.

It's like 60 grit sandpaper on plaster. White crystal material. Even acid washing a couple of times is not going to remove this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had tremendous amounts of calcium scale in my spill over tub that I hit with an ever increasing amount of acid. I started at like 10% plus water and believe it was about a 50 50 mix till it really had the calcium "foaming" when it got it. I also used a pumice blocks to scrub it, took serious amounts of elbow grease too. I am vigilant now to completely change out the water after tub/heater/bubbler use, I think that is what caused mine, water chemistry gone wild.

Good luck with all that.

To remove significant calcium scale from concrete pool with marbelite finish. Acid washing with muratic acid does not do the job. You have to grind the surface with an abrasive material to remove as much calcium as possible. We used hand grinders with flat discs (hard plastic type discs that will not gouge the pool surface). Then you apply a product called Grime Away by Tabex. They are a chemical manufacturer out of Calgary, AB. You spray on the chemical, it works well on vertical walls as it sticks to the surface, let it sit for a while until it starts to dry up a bit then scrub the surface with a stiff hand held brush/scrubber (the type with stiff plastic bristles). Then you wash it off. Re-do this until the calcium of all off. May take a few coatings depending on how much calcium is on the walls. This stuff works great. We had a pool with calcium all over it, real bad. It took 4 guys two days but we got it all off. Pool looks like new again. Seems like a lot of work, until you factor in what it would cost to re-marbelite the entire pool. Works out to a quarter of the cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To remove significant calcium scale from concrete pool with marbelite finish. Acid washing with muratic acid does not do the job. You have to grind the surface with an abrasive material to remove as much calcium as possible. We used hand grinders with flat discs (hard plastic type discs that will not gouge the pool surface). .

What kind of pads do you use? I saw some from DRP that go up to 120 grit, is that enough?
https://drptools.com/collections/pool-plaster-polishing-pads

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.