Another newbie to solar covers - Couple of ?s

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
Cutting the solar cover to fit my pool appears straighforward enough. Are there any things to consider as I do this; i.e technique, scissors vs utility knife, cut it slightly bigger or smaller than actual pool size, etc? After paying a few $$$$ for a new cover, I want to make sure I do it right.

Also, can I run my automatic cleaner while the pool is covered.

I appreciate any tips, suggestions, or comments.

I cut my cover with a scissor and it came out fine. It was a 15 mil and very easy to do.

You can definitely run the filter and automatic vacuum with the cover on.

My only word of caution is if you are going to use a reel system. If you have an odd shape (kidney or something similar) you will need to cut the cover a little larger when attaching to the reel since the reel will sit over the pool. Hard to explain but in short the cover needs to have a fold in it for reel nuts to attach to the cover, therefore, you will lose 2 or 3 inches for the fold. Wish I knew before I cut my cover. :oops:

I just got a reel system and cover this week. I keep reading the instruction but
I can't picture (figure) where to put my straps for an oval pool. I am thinking they
should go straight across the end before the curves. Or do you but them on the end
3" in with different lengths of straps? Any body have an oval pool with reel system?
Thanks

That is totally dependant on which type of reel system you have. Does it sit mid pool, at the end of the pool, etc? Ours, for instance is mounted off the end of the pool on the ground - so the straps are at the ends, lined up at even intervals along the reel - the straps are different lengths so that it reels evenly.

What type of reel system do you have?

Hi;
I have an Rocky's Eazy Roller with casters. The idea is to have it at the shallow
end, and wheel it off to the side when not in use. I understand the concept with
a rectangle pool because its a straight line at the end of the pool. With the oval
its all curved at the end. I don't know if I am making any sence

Our pool is oval. The straps are uneven in length. Lay them out at even intervals along the reel and be sure that the side straps are spaced to the edges so that the cover moves smoothly, and without folding over or bunching when it pulls to the reel. You can do a "dry run" with the strap placement by taping them to the cover with duct tape and pulling. Make adjustments as needed. It will give a good idea of how it will roll up when they are attached permanently.

Thanks for the reply. I think I am getting it. Lay the straps out on the roller2or 3' apart, then
tape each strap about 3" in on the cover. Make sure you have a strap close to each side
of the cover. The straps will be different lenghts because of the curve in the pool and
cover. Am I on track?

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a reel system cannot be attached to an oval pool at the ends because the straps are not long enough to attach at the ends due to the oval shape. I thought the reel would have to be placed at the widest part of the pool, i.e. over the pool. Perhaps they sell longer straps?

OK, I cut my solar cover yesterday (with scissors). Very simple and fits perfect.

Now, for maximum overall help with heating, do I leave the (standard clear blue) cover off during the day so the pool will get max sunlight and put it back on in the evening, or leave it on to prevent evaporation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I find it depends on how warm it is outside relative to your pool temperature. Cover on at night for sure for insulation. A cool sunny day leave the cover on if it's windy. A warm sunny day no matter what take it off for maximum heating. With my pool at 70° and the outside temperature at 86°, sunny and windy we saw a temperature rise of 5° in 4 hours. Cover on that might have been 2°.

Thanks Kinguni, that helps.

Right now we are still having highs in the low 90's. Pool temp is at 84. I'd like to have pool at least 86-88 (without firing up the heater). So I will uncover at lunch daily and see how that goes.

Perhaps some companies just sell all the straps the same short length. But not all are made that way - even if yours IS you can purchase the nylon webbing straps (same thing) for close to nothing. If you can't find some, let me know. We just happen to have 200' of nylon webbing strap, U pay shipping, I'll send you what you need.

Ours is oval, the straps work fine and we roll it from the end.

I had my first experience with rolling the cover up yesterday (no reel). Kind of a pain in the patookie :| . So I start looking online at reels :shock: , man are they expensive! I think I might do a version of Anna K's method and cut it in maybe 3 sections.

ktdave said:
I had my first experience with rolling the cover up yesterday (no reel). Kind of a pain in the patookie :| . So I start looking online at reels :shock: , man are they expensive! I think I might do a version of Anna K's method and cut it in maybe 3 sections.

if you find a reel isnt t0 expensive, you might have to cut it in two pieces because of the shape of your pool. cut the long end for the reel and then just pick up that funny end in the corner with your hands. that might make it easier.

The way I rolled it up was first fold the "funny end" over to where it was just one long, skinny rectangle. I figure I then could attach that to a reel and roll it up easily. I just don't know if I can justify spending $200+ on a reel.

ktdave said:
The way I rolled it up was first fold the "funny end" over to where it was just one long, skinny rectangle. I figure I then could attach that to a reel and roll it up easily. I just don't know if I can justify spending $200+ on a reel.

im still new to pools not being big rectangles, not sure what you call the funny end other than the deep end.

but i guess i see the 200 dollars for a reel as being worth it because of the SIZE of my cover :shock:

KTdave,

I have posted the same thing some where esle. I got my cover and the first time I tried rolling it out, my wife looked at me and said "Looks like I'm never going back into that pool alone again" I tried taking it off and ran inside and ordered a reel. I was supposed to get it today but it is on back order. I have been taking it on/off manually for a week (3xs) it is getting easier the more I do it but it is still a pain in the patoot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.