Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another newbie to solar covers - Couple of ?s

1. Back To Top    #1

Another newbie to solar covers - Couple of ?s

Cutting the solar cover to fit my pool appears straighforward enough. Are there any things to consider as I do this; i.e technique, scissors vs utility knife, cut it slightly bigger or smaller than actual pool size, etc? After paying a few $$$$ for a new cover, I want to make sure I do it right.

Also, can I run my automatic cleaner while the pool is covered.

I appreciate any tips, suggestions, or comments.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2
    i have about the same questions as you, the cover i got had to be 25X60 so i need to size it, also

can you run the filter while the cover is on.

3. Back To Top    #3

I cut my cover with a scissor and it came out fine. It was a 15 mil and very easy to do.

You can definitely run the filter and automatic vacuum with the cover on.

My only word of caution is if you are going to use a reel system. If you have an odd shape (kidney or something similar) you will need to cut the cover a little larger when attaching to the reel since the reel will sit over the pool. Hard to explain but in short the cover needs to have a fold in it for reel nuts to attach to the cover, therefore, you will lose 2 or 3 inches for the fold. Wish I knew before I cut my cover.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I just got a reel system and cover this week. I keep reading the instruction but
    I can't picture (figure) where to put my straps for an oval pool. I am thinking they
    should go straight across the end before the curves. Or do you but them on the end
    3" in with different lengths of straps? Any body have an oval pool with reel system?
    Thanks
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

5. Back To Top    #5
    That is totally dependant on which type of reel system you have. Does it sit mid pool, at the end of the pool, etc? Ours, for instance is mounted off the end of the pool on the ground - so the straps are at the ends, lined up at even intervals along the reel - the straps are different lengths so that it reels evenly.

What type of reel system do you have?
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi;
    I have an Rocky's Eazy Roller with casters. The idea is to have it at the shallow
    end, and wheel it off to the side when not in use. I understand the concept with
    a rectangle pool because its a straight line at the end of the pool. With the oval
    its all curved at the end. I don't know if I am making any sence

7. Back To Top    #7
    Our pool is oval. The straps are uneven in length. Lay them out at even intervals along the reel and be sure that the side straps are spaced to the edges so that the cover moves smoothly, and without folding over or bunching when it pulls to the reel. You can do a "dry run" with the strap placement by taping them to the cover with duct tape and pulling. Make adjustments as needed. It will give a good idea of how it will roll up when they are attached permanently.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the reply. I think I am getting it. Lay the straps out on the roller2or 3' apart, then
    tape each strap about 3" in on the cover. Make sure you have a strap close to each side
    of the cover. The straps will be different lenghts because of the curve in the pool and
    cover. Am I on track?

9. Back To Top    #9

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a reel system cannot be attached to an oval pool at the ends because the straps are not long enough to attach at the ends due to the oval shape. I thought the reel would have to be placed at the widest part of the pool, i.e. over the pool. Perhaps they sell longer straps?
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

10. Back To Top    #10
    OK, I cut my solar cover yesterday (with scissors). Very simple and fits perfect.

Now, for maximum overall help with heating, do I leave the (standard clear blue) cover off during the day so the pool will get max sunlight and put it back on in the evening, or leave it on to prevent evaporation.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11
    I find it depends on how warm it is outside relative to your pool temperature. Cover on at night for sure for insulation. A cool sunny day leave the cover on if it's windy. A warm sunny day no matter what take it off for maximum heating. With my pool at 70° and the outside temperature at 86°, sunny and windy we saw a temperature rise of 5° in 4 hours. Cover on that might have been 2°.

12. Back To Top    #12
    Thanks Kinguni, that helps.

Right now we are still having highs in the low 90's. Pool temp is at 84. I'd like to have pool at least 86-88 (without firing up the heater). So I will uncover at lunch daily and see how that goes.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

13. Back To Top    #13
    Perhaps some companies just sell all the straps the same short length. But not all are made that way - even if yours IS you can purchase the nylon webbing straps (same thing) for close to nothing. If you can't find some, let me know. We just happen to have 200' of nylon webbing strap, U pay shipping, I'll send you what you need.

Ours is oval, the straps work fine and we roll it from the end.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks!!!

15. Back To Top    #15
    I had my first experience with rolling the cover up yesterday (no reel). Kind of a pain in the patookie . So I start looking online at reels , man are they expensive! I think I might do a version of Anna K's method and cut it in maybe 3 sections.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

16. Back To Top    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    I had my first experience with rolling the cover up yesterday (no reel). Kind of a pain in the patookie . So I start looking online at reels , man are they expensive! I think I might do a version of Anna K's method and cut it in maybe 3 sections.

if you find a reel isnt t0 expensive, you might have to cut it in two pieces because of the shape of your pool. cut the long end for the reel and then just pick up that funny end in the corner with your hands. that might make it easier.

17. Back To Top    #17
    The way I rolled it up was first fold the "funny end" over to where it was just one long, skinny rectangle. I figure I then could attach that to a reel and roll it up easily. I just don't know if I can justify spending $200+ on a reel.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

18. Back To Top    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    The way I rolled it up was first fold the "funny end" over to where it was just one long, skinny rectangle. I figure I then could attach that to a reel and roll it up easily. I just don't know if I can justify spending $200+ on a reel.
    im still new to pools not being big rectangles, not sure what you call the funny end other than the deep end.

but i guess i see the 200 dollars for a reel as being worth it because of the SIZE of my cover

19. Back To Top    #19
    KTdave,

I have posted the same thing some where esle. I got my cover and the first time I tried rolling it out, my wife looked at me and said "Looks like I'm never going back into that pool alone again" I tried taking it off and ran inside and ordered a reel. I was supposed to get it today but it is on back order. I have been taking it on/off manually for a week (3xs) it is getting easier the more I do it but it is still a pain in the patoot.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam