pump stopped pumping

jdt

Mar 20, 2011
help turned on pump it was pumping good pool was almost empty thought i would check the plastic basket in pump went to turn it back on it come on but it would not pump water out

If you are using the pump to drain the pool and the pool is almost drained, then it will be difficult for the pump to regain prime once it is lost because of how high the pump has to pull the water up. How far below the pump is the water level?

The pump should be able to pull a prime from 4 feet down; it will just take a few minutes. Don't give it too long or it could overheat.

Why are you draining the pool?

How much water is left to drain?

You have to be careful about draining a pool. A fiberglass or concrete pool can float and a liner can lose its set. You shouldn't do a full drain unless you're really sure that you know what to do.

I just drained my plaster or concrete pool a few days ago. I didn't have any issues. However, I'm in Vegas so the water table really isn't a factor. I rented a submersible pump from home depot for about $30, ran the hose around to front of the house to the sewer clean out, dropped it in the pool, and just let it run. It emptied our 6300 gal pool in about 2 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you know how old the pump is?
Where are you located?
Are you only pulling water from the main drain?
Is the skimmer valve shut tight?

Sorry for all the questions but that'll help us guess at possible causes.
You're best bet might be the sump pump mentioned above.
Also mentioned above is a good test kit and you'll want one of those. Now would be a good time to order it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.