AG Pool start up... cover came off and it's a bit of a mess

Hello all! Fairly new Pool owner (and single Mom) here. I had a great first year of pool ownership last summer thanks to TFP and I managed to get it closed last year with the help of my oldest and a few of his friends. However, they were in a bit of a hurry putting the cover on and I wasn't comfortable with how secure it was. To my delight it stayed on through the winter and several snows. I kept the water drained from the top as much as possible but in January the wind caught it and poof it was in the pool. At the time I noticed the water was pretty much crystal clear but that was several weeks ago and we've had some bright sunny days since so I know I have to get it officially opened soon.

We got the cover out of the pool yesterday and I've been working on getting all the debris (leaves and blossoms) out. The water is clear but there's definate algae growth in areas. I know I need to get some chlorine going in there but I'm pretty sure the big stuff needs out first before I get the pump going and since its just me working on it that might take several days. Should I go ahead and put chlorine in even though the water level is low and it won't be circulating just yet? At the advice of a pool owner friend he suggested I completely drain which I started but there's still about a foot of water in there and I'm kinda thinking a complete drain isn't necessary.

Also another question... I keep reading that you should check the pumps for leaks and make sure its running properly but no mention of filling the pool up first so I'm wondering how that's possible??? That may sound like a really blonde question and I'm sorry if it is but I must be missing something somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Re: AG Pool start up... cover came off and it's a bit of a m

Yeah..get the biggest stuff out first the best you can. You might want to go ahead and put at least 2 feet of water in it so it's half way full at this point to get get some outward pressure on those walls. Ain't much way to check the pumps and hoses for leaks without having water moving through them! Got a good test kit??????????

Re: AG Pool start up... cover came off and it's a bit of a m

You can fill the pool before taking the cover off and get the pump checked out and running, and then take the cover off. But most people do the cover first and then fill and then check out the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.