Completely clueless, need help!

G

Hello all,

Here is my story, I bought a house last fall that came with a 24 foot pool. That is about all I know about it. I asked my house inspector to crack the winter cover but he said that was not part of a standard house inspection and he didn't know about them. I know that the pool was installed in 2007, used for one year and then it remained under it's winter cover since then. Well, I took the cover off a few days ago and found clear water but the bottom had a 1/2 inch thick carpet of leaves, muck and pine needles. I bought some nets and poles and got as much out as I could but there is still quite a bit of muck on the bottom.

In the garage, I found a pump and filter system that uses cartridges a bunch of hoses and a lady bug thing that I assume to be a vacuum. I thought I could use the vacuum to get the rest out. So on to my questions.

1: I see the inlet pipe on the pump and I see the return pipe on the filter but I don't see where I hook up the vacuum. Any idea's?

2: On the side of the pool I see the skimmer basket and the pipe hanging off the bottom to hook up to the pump, I see a pipe stub sticking right out of the pool which I assume to be the return port, and one other pipe sticking out of the ground with a valve on it, I assume that that is connected to the drain in the bottom of the pool. Here is the odd part, on that pipe coming out of the ground, there is not an evident way of hooking up to it. Instead on the top of the pipe there is a valve stem?? Just like on your car's tires. What's up with that thing?

Thanks for your time!

When water flows into the skimmer from the pool it goes down a hole in the bottom of the skimmer into the pipe. The cleaner is normally plugged directly into that hole and the skimmer does not work while the cleaner is running.

I have no idea what that pipe coming out of the ground is. Everything should work if you ignore it.

Ah, if there is a main drain then that pipe could be connected to the main drain. And the weird fitting on top of the pipe would be an air valve used to connect a compressor to the pipe so it could be blown out for the winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ideally you should get a T and use both. If you only use the skimmer, everything will work. Using both is better though. If you want to get fancy you could even get a three way valve so you could control where the pump is drawing from.

Ok thanks for your help, should I get that at a pool store or will any three way valve from a hardware store work?

Also regarding hooking up my vacuum, you said to connect it to the skimmer, if you look at the pic I posed of the skimmer, there is only one outlet and I would assume that gets connected to the intake side of the pump. Do i need to disconnect that line from the skimmer and connect it to the vacuum?

Ok thanks. Any ideas on this?

"Also regarding hooking up my vacuum, you said to connect it to the skimmer, if you look at the pic I posed of the skimmer, there is only one outlet and I would assume that gets connected to the intake side of the pump. Do i need to disconnect that line from the skimmer and connect it to the vacuum?"

Instead of a 3 way valve you can also use a pair of common cheap PVC ball valves and a T from any hardware store, you would turn them on/off in combination to get flow from one side only. They are available with either threaded or slip on (glue on) connections, in this case you would want threaded so they could be removed later.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.