Niche electrical question

rv4hess

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 14, 2011
Question 1: I plan to seal the niche wall gasket with silicone, is this okay? ( I understand the inside niche and junction box connections will use a special potting compound).

Q. 2: I will need a niche inspection, which will include the niche conduit, (with a bonding wire inside and out, potting compound, etc.). I would rather run the elec pvc higher, just below the bonding grid, but that would mean covering the niche with backfill, and therefore the outside bonding lug connection. Does an inspector need to see the niche outside bonding connection or just the inside?

Q 3: Is about a 5' pigtail of #8 bare copper sufficient for the niche to the equipotential grid?

Q 4: What elevation do you see commonly see for elec pvc runs under the decking?

Looping the elec down to the plumbing would make for too many 90 deg angles.
Running the elec pvc higher would mean backfilling all the way up the walls, covering the niches.

Thanks John

rv4hess said:
I would rather run the elec pvc higher

The conduit needs to be 18" deep.

rv4hess said:
Does an inspector need to see the niche outside bonding connection or just the inside?

You will need an inspection to get the OK to cover the niche and conduit. The inspector will look at the following.
1. 8ga solid bare copper coming from the back of the niche. (This goes to the grid)
2. Conduit 18" below grade.
3. The light junction box. Needs to be 8" higher than max water level, and 4' away from pool wall. Not to be supported by pvc Conduit. Has a #8 green wire inside the conduit terminated at the junction box, and inside the niche.
4. Inside the Niche. He will look inside the niche to see if the #8 green is there, terminated with approved potting compound protecting the connection.

rv4hess said:
Is about a 5' pigtail of #8 bare copper sufficient for the niche to the equipotential grid?

There is no size restriction. Whatever it takes to get to the grid.

rv4hess said:
What elevation do you see commonly see for elec pvc runs under the decking?

Again, has to be 18".

Thank you mpippins,
I assume you mean anything deeper than 18"?
Is there a 360 degree limit to the total conduit bends prior to the junction box or is this just a guide?
.I believe I can run them back down to just on top of the plumbing with 360 total, and I will use 1" pvc.

Thanks again,
John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.