Whisperflo WF-28 hesitates on power on

Wes45

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
Garland, TX
My pool/pump is 5 1/2 years old. It has been louder than usual for the past few months and when I started it manually this morning it just sat there whining for about 30-45 seconds before it began pumping. I felt the motor housing an hour later and it was extremely hot at the end. I have attached a few pictures of the pump and pad and need some professional assistance.
I tried to search on Whisperflow and found a few thrreads to read but didn't really understand what my options are.
I have some mechanical aptitude - could I repair it myself or would I be better off just buying a new pump?
Should I buy the exact replacement and where are the best sources to buy it? I assume I should be able to install it myself?
Finally, should I consider buying an improved make/model to save on my electric bill? Would that be a DIY install and set-up or should I seek professional help?
Thanks in advance, Lee[attachment=2:3bgau31q]WF-28 side.JPG[/attachment:3bgau31q][attachment=1:3bgau31q]WF-28 left side.JPG[/attachment:3bgau31q][attachment=0:3bgau31q]WF-28 top.JPG[/attachment:3bgau31q]

Attachments

• WF-28 side.JPG
    WF-28 side.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 89
  • WF-28 left side.JPG
    WF-28 left side.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 81
  • WF-28 top.JPG
    WF-28 top.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 81
It is impossible to be sure but that sounds like a bearing problem. The bearings can be replaced quite economically, but it does take some work. One option is to remove the motor and take it in to a motor shop, who would be happy to rebuild it for you. Or, if you feel mechanically competent that is a job an advanced DIY type can handle on their own.

Before you get involved in any of that you should make sure nothing is stuck in the impeller, which could possibly cause similar symptoms (though I doubt it). Open up the pump strainer basket, remove the basket and feel around in the hole under there (with the pump OFF) and see if there any any debris trapped in there.

If you do replace either the motor or the pump, you can save a good amount on electricity by getting a two speed motor/pump.

Thanks Jason, with my luck I'd get it apart and something would go wrong. I guess I could buy a new one and then try to fix and resell the old one?

What make/model would you recommend I consider as a 2 speed replacement? Best place to buy? Would that be a DIY project?
Any ideas on search words so I could learn more about that?
Thanks for your early Sunday morning reply!

one last question - when I cut the two gray water pipes connected to the motor so I can remove it, how close to the motor should I make the cut?

An appropriate replacement pump depends on your setup. If you don't have any water features and no spa then I suggest the WFDS-3 (110 volt) or WFDS-4 (230 volt) depending on which voltage you currently have at the pump. If you do have a spa or water feature then you probably want to go for the WFDS-6 so you get the same water flow that you currently have. All three are two speed energy efficient pumps that are much more economical to run on low speed. At the high end you could go for a variable speed pump, but I doubt that your electric rates are high enough in TX to justify that.

Replacing the pump means a little electrical work and a small plumbing job. Both are DIY plausible, but don't try it unless you feel comfortable doing electrical work. When you cut the pipes you want to leave enough pipe on both sides to grab with pliers and/or fit a slip fitting over.

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't have a spa and the only thing close to a water feature I have are 3 scuppers that allow water to fall into the pool but I rarely open them. I'll check the voltage and look into the models you recommended, thanks again.

Dumb question, what is the easiest way to determine if it is 115 or 230V? There is no marking on the pump that indicates that. Can I call Pentair with the serial number? I guess that might be the easiest or I can call my builder but who knows if they know.

I talked to my neighbor who works for a pool company and his suggestion was just to stick with the Whisperflow. I called Pentair and they recommended I just buy a motor, seal and gasket.

The motor looks to be around $200 on-line. I called a local shop and they quoted me $299 for a motor and 1 1/2 hr install which would be $112 in labor. I'm thinking that is not too bad, guess I could order a motor and do the install but I really don't have time. The motors on most of the pumps come from A.O.Smith.

I also ran into the issue with the pump having a plate saying 2.0 hp but it really is a 1.5hp motor. I see you have to multiply the horsepower times the service factor to determine maximum HP so I will check the nameplate again to get the service factor so I am buying a motor with the same maximum horsepower.

While you are at it, get a two speed motor. As long as high speed matches the specs of your current motor it will work just fine and by running on low speed for twice as long you can save a substantial amount of electricity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Guys,
I found your posting, I am having or I looks to me; I am having the same problem you had. Same exact pump, 7 years old, It just started to sound louder than what normally does. I wonder what was your final solution, since the posting are from 2009.
Thanks
Ed,
Florida

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.