Ran Polaris without filter pump on

bsevin

Apr 10, 2011
Hey, new to owning a pool and also this forum, so was hoping to get some help here. I have a 25,000 gallon saltwater inground pool. My system is set up so that the polaris can run without the main filter pump being on unfortunately, and yesterday I accidentally left the polaris running for about 1.5 hours without my filter pump on. Will this burn up my polaris or the pump for it (booster pump?)? How can I tell if it's damaged because when I caught my mistake the polaris was operating normally in the pool. ANy help is appreciated for this newbie! In Meetairie, LA, and usually go to Clearwater Pools in my neighborhood, FYI. Thanks!

Bart

Welcome to TFP!

Running the booster pump when the main pump isn't running for a short time shouldn't be a problem. The danger is that when you run it that way it draws in water backwards through the returns. That water isn't filtered, so it is much easier for debris to get into the booster pump and cause problems. Chances are there wasn't any debris during your hour and a half and you will be just fine. If you are worried, many (but not all) booster pumps can be opened up and cleaned out to insure there is no debris in there.

Jason, thanks for the response and info! Puts my mind at ease. Just had to get the motherboard replaced in my Aqua Rite computer and wasn't looking forward to another expensive item. Many thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.