pink algae in skimmer of BBB pool?

amjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Rural NE Texas
Never used anything but BBB with 50 ppm borates. In winter I use polyquat and leave the pool "open" but it is way too cold to swim. Water is now 75 degrees. Getting ready to hook up solar system and start the season. A little early for us but has been really hot and dry.
Just started adding chlorine and will go straight to shock. Can see green algae swirls on bottom that require brushing even though cc is only reading .5 but water is cloudy. Our fill water tests at 2.5-2 CC, so anytime we add water to the poolwe will have that affect us.
This is also massive pollen dust dirt bug season for us and it has been full on this year.
Main thing I am not sure about is the pink slime in the skimmer. I cleaned the skimmer and ring around the pool out 2 weeks ago of the usual black grime that accumulates in the winter here. Now this pink stuff has started in and is beginning to sneak out of the skimmer. Could it be pink algae and if so what would be the best way to handle it?
Test results today
FC 0(about to go way up)
CC .5
ph 7.5
T/A 85
CYA 15-20 (working on this as well. I finished the fall with 55, but we get the mysterious CYA loss every winter)
temp 75 degrees
borates 30ppm will get back up to 50 soon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.