Sand filter question

onewomanarmy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2011
I am struggling with a couple of questions about a new filter. If anyone can guide me I'd appreciate it. We currently have a 24" Hayward sand filter and am leaning towards replacing it, probably with another Hayward. I know bigger is better (within reason) as far as the filter goes and am thinking about moving up to a 27" but don't know if it's a good match to our system. We have a 1 HP, single speed Pentair Superflow pump and all the above ground plumbing is 1.5" - I wouldn't think there's any reason to assume that changes once underground. Our pump/filter is 30-40 feet away from the 19x42 inground pool. No main drain, two skimmers, two returns, no water features. Pool cleaned by robot - so don't use the suction/filter. Will stepping up to a 27" filter be a problem? Is there a better size? I'd like to get the new system set up to only run 8-12 hours a day if that would do the job. Also looking to add a SWG along with this filter replacement, possibly an AutoPilot DIG-42.

Thanks for any opinions!

Thanks, Jason! That's what I was hoping to hear - was just a little leary that my 1.5" pipes might be a problem. I think we're going to redo the whole pad while making these changes, so I'll have as much room as I want! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.