Hi from RV4hess in Fayetteville GA

rv4hess

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 14, 2011
Just wanted to say hi :wave: and a big thank you to all of the supportive and helpful people on this forum. :goodjob:

The fact that there is so much information already here always helps me find answers to my questions.
Reading others experiences and especially seeing pictures of your construction progress is invaluable.

Most of the time a Google search of a question brings me right back to a specific thread in TFP. (I believe their search is sorted on number of views regarding your query).

History: We've never had a pool but we have always wanted one, (at least for about 5 months of every year).
In our subdivision there is no community pool, about 75% of our neighbors have their own.
Several of our neighbors would insist that we don't worry about building our own but just come over and use theirs.
Some also say they wished we could take their pool, mostly because once their kids moved out they don't use it much anymore and it is significant work and expense to keep it up. (more on this later)
We always felt less than comfortable in someone else's back yard with trying to keep the kids from disturbing the peace, using facilities, and just imposing on them.......
At least that's my excuse.
We felt like this is the year, if we are ever going to have one, we're going for it now.

My friends always said that they loved theirs right up until the kids grew up and no one used it or appreciated it anymore.
It was now just an expense of time and money....(Almost all use pool services and over powered circulation pumps which costs them a total of well over $100 per month in upkeep).
I don't think any of them know about TFP and I am going to see if I can share and convert them based on my (hopeful) successes. You guys (and girls) have answers and advice for any problem.
So far, I have only "skimmed over" the BBB info, but it looks like a great system.

One good thing learned about trying out so many friend's pools, was what we really liked about each.
The gunite ones were more beautiful and classier looking but were somewhat rougher on the feet.
(one also had many border tiles coming loose after about 10 years, probably a poor install/ backfill).
Regardless gunite was not really suited for a DIY'er like me and otherwise out of my budget.

We've always liked to be hands on and build sweat equity. My wife and I did all the plumbing, wiring, tiling floors, and many little things when building our home. As Poolschoolgrad mentioned I built a kit plane, (RV-4).

The liner pools were nice enough, good quality and affordable, especially if I did much of the work.
We found RoyalSwimmingPools.com, they were competitively priced, and had a great Better Business Bureau rating.
So far their product and costumer service is great but their installation manual leaves a lot to be desired!
Thanks to TFP for help to the problems their manuals don't answer (and especially after business hours).

So far building a pool has been a little frustrating, but mostly rewarding. The main pressure comes when you have friends, a paid grading contractor, a rented excavator and bobcat all waiting on the answer to little problem that you don't know the answer to because you've never done this before. Or how about when the "manual" says 2 foot over dig for your adjustable A frame supports but when you go to install them, they are 2'6" wide, and you have to manually dig out for them, because the excavator has been turned in. :grrrr:
Rookie mistakes with help from a manual that covers several designs, most of which reference rectangle pool designs.
For first timers, take the time it should take you, double it, and add 15%.

On the plus side, finishing a stage along the way is a big morale boost.
Trying out those twin ColorLogics last night just about brought tears to our eyes.

Even when it is too cold to swim, we should have a beautiful addition to our backyard.

Again, thanks for all the help and encouragement,
John

Attachments

• 100_0993.JPG
    100_0993.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN6661.JPG
    DSCN6661.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 53