Pics of......not really sure?!? And #'s after partial drain

Bryan

May 31, 2008
Tarpon Springs, FL
Couple of things going on here. Had an algae outbreak, noticeable mostly on the eroding areas of the marcite, as seen here:[attachment=2:37rb04en]Pictures 415.jpg[/attachment:37rb04en]
I thought I was putting enough chlorine in to take care of it, but took a water sample to the pool store and found that my CYA was waaay high. Here are those numbers:
FC 0.0
pH 7.4
TA 80
CH 415
CYA 110
TDS 1400

I then proceeded with a partial drain, about a foot, and refill. I then shocked night before last with about one and a half gallons of liquid chlorine (per Pool Calc, FC of 21). Then last night I added another half gallon for good measure (No, I don't have a TF-100 kit. Yet.). Here are the numbers from this morning:
FC 5.0
pH 8.0
TA 125
CH 335
CYA 60
TDS 1500

So it looks like the partial drain did some good, and the ugly spots from the pic above are looking much better, but as I was checking the chlorine level tonight (which, by the way, reads well over 5.0 on my cheapie generic kit from the pool store??) I noticed, thanks to the light in the pool, that there are a bazillion little particles circulating in the water. Here a few pics, I don't know if you can make out any of them:[attachment=1:37rb04en]pool pics 003.jpg[/attachment:37rb04en][attachment=0:37rb04en]pool pics 006.jpg[/attachment:37rb04en]
Can anyone tell me what that is? Dead algae? I've been running the filter non-stop since the refill, and I have both the skimmer and the main drain running, so I would have thought there wouldn't be so much "stuff" in the water. Funny part is, the water looks great in the sunlight!

Sorry for the long post, but I'd appreciate any and all help and advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• Pictures 415.jpg
    Pictures 415.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 108
  • pool pics 003.jpg
    pool pics 003.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 108
  • pool pics 006.jpg
    pool pics 006.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 108
Re: Pics of......not really sure?!? And #'s after partial d

Yes, that is mostly dead algae. It is always easier to see things floating in the water at night in front of the pool light. Likely you will still see things, though not nearly as many, when the water is totally crystal clear during the day.

It will take the filter several days to completely clear up the water, longer if it is a sand filter, even after the algae is all dead.

You shouldn't need to clean out the filter every day. Your pool isn't particularly dirty - it's just got an algae issue. Keep the chlorine up there (24ppm for CYA 60) and the pool will clear. I'd only clean the filter when the pressure has risen enough to need it .

I know you know - but a test kit will make your life a lot easier. You can try cutting your pool water 3 parts tap water to 1 part pool water and using your current tester. If you are still reading "5" you can figure you are somewhere close to 20. There'll be a huge margin of error - but it's better than a straight guess......

That little white floaty stuff looks like the daily accumulation of pollen I have down here. Looks like tree dandruff!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.