Hey y'all. Greetings from Ga

Apr 4, 2011
New to the forum, but I have been a lurker for some time. This is a great site! Lots of information. Pardon the pun, but I am going to jump right in.
After several years of building a weekend toy (Mustang), I sold it a few weeks back. Apparently, teenage daughters just are not interested in dragstrips? Go figure. However, they are interested in Boy's and hanging out with friends. This bit of knowledge led me to the hard truth that it was in my/childrens best interest (and my sanity) to say goodbye to my toy, and install a pool. I purchased a diy vinyl kit after having 2 PB's come out and give me some quotes. I was quoted $25900 for an 18 x 36, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, standard light, 3 foot of deck around the pool with an 8' "big end". Then there was the $4700 for a retaining wall, and $5000 to drop the trees in the back yard. I dropped the trees, removed the stumps, built the retaining wall from 6 x 6's and have about $3500 invested thus far.
I own a small utility contracting company here in Ga, and after lots of study, I decided I will attempt to do this installation myself. I frequently dig "on grade", pour lots of concrete, and own my own excavating equipment, so why not? I'll give it a shot. Besides, some old fashioned sweat work has always been good for Teenagers. :p I will be attempting to build the 18 x 36, using a cartridge filter, swg, colorlogic light, and pouring an eight foot decking, 14' on the shallow end. If all goes to plan, I should be saving around 13k. I believe in my heart of hearts that I can accomplish this in about 3 solid weekends. I start the dig in the morning. Prayers please.
I will document the build, the :thequeen: loves to take pictures. I hope to be able to contribute some, and i look forward to learning as much as I can. I WILL use the search button, but please be patient with my elementary questions. Thats it y'all. I appreciate the opportunity to join the TFP community.

Hello Marco, I'm in Fayetteville, GA, just a week ahead of you but you'll probably pass me up. We just concreted the "collar" today. So far all is going relatively well, but between thunderstorms and learning curves, I'm progressing a little slowly.

My first weeks worth of advice would be "measure accurately and often"!

What design pool are you building, and who from?
Cant wait to see the progress.

Best of luck,
John

I commented in your thread earlier. Your post gave me the courage to make my introduction.
Laid the pool out this afternoon and pulled elevation. The pool is a steel kit, 18 x 36, 6" radius with jetted 8' steps. 3.5" with an 8' deep hopper. The rectangle was the choice for us after building the retaining wall. Spent some time calling around pricing materials, and was shocked with the price differences I was recieving. An example was concrete. When calling for concrete at a worksite, mud by the yard avgs me about $80 a yard. (5000 psi with fibre) Calling today, explaining the concrete was to be deivered to a residence and that it was for a swimming pool , I was quoted $95 a yard for 3000. I am looking at approx 26 yds, 15 dollars extra per yard plus a delivery charge? Wow.That $390 difference could finance the plumbing materials.
I appreciate the measure accurately and often advice. Thats the stuff I need to hear. Sounds like you are moving right along. Collars in, you are on the downhill straight! I will PM you where I purchased the kit from. I would just throw it out there but that may be frowned upon. I will say aloud that we purchased what I believe to be a quality kit, with the options we liked, for less than a third of the installation quotes I recieved. Ordered Monday, arrived this a.m. The delivery driver was fantastic. He even helped the fat boy (me) unload the panels. I was surprised at how heavy they are. They seem to be of fine quality. I measured the galvanize with my paint meter (we do steel repair and coatings in my field of work) and I was pleased with the results.

markopolo said:
New to the forum, but I have been a lurker for some time. This is a great site! Lots of information. Pardon the pun, but I am going to jump right in.
After several years of building a weekend toy (Mustang), I sold it a few weeks back. Apparently, teenage daughters just are not interested in dragstrips? Go figure. However, they are interested in Boy's and hanging out with friends. This bit of knowledge led me to the hard truth that it was in my/childrens best interest (and my sanity) to say goodbye to my toy, and install a pool. I purchased a diy vinyl kit after having 2 PB's come out and give me some quotes. I was quoted $25900 for an 18 x 36, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, standard light, 3 foot of deck around the pool with an 8' "big end". Then there was the $4700 for a retaining wall, and $5000 to drop the trees in the back yard. I dropped the trees, removed the stumps, built the retaining wall from 6 x 6's and have about $3500 invested thus far.
I own a small utility contracting company here in Ga, and after lots of study, I decided I will attempt to do this installation myself. I frequently dig "on grade", pour lots of concrete, and own my own excavating equipment, so why not? I'll give it a shot. Besides, some old fashioned sweat work has always been good for Teenagers. :p I will be attempting to build the 18 x 36, using a cartridge filter, swg, colorlogic light, and pouring an eight foot decking, 14' on the shallow end. If all goes to plan, I should be saving around 13k. I believe in my heart of hearts that I can accomplish this in about 3 solid weekends. I start the dig in the morning. Prayers please.
I will document the build, the :thequeen: loves to take pictures. I hope to be able to contribute some, and i look forward to learning as much as I can. I WILL use the search button, but please be patient with my elementary questions. Thats it y'all. I appreciate the opportunity to join the TFP community.
Welcome to TFP :wave: Looking forward to seeing some pics of your build.

Hello neighbors...well almost

Mr. Hess

Did you build the RV-4 yourself?
Pictures?
Bet it is fun to fly.
I saw one a few years ago. It would take off fast and maneuver like a dream.
That little airstrip where the guy on the end had that big twin engine. Was it an A12?

Anyone who can build a plane should have no trouble building a pool. :cheers:
There are a lot of good folks on this website and a lot of good unbiased information. :goodjob:

* edited to remove geographic reference*

Hi Poolschoolgrad, yes you are correct on all counts.
I don't want to hijack Marcopolo's thread so I'll start my own introduction thread.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
John

Marcpolo, any updates on your pool?
Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Mine is backing up at the moment,...liner seam failure.

Hope you are having better luck,
John