Air Bubbles in return line

Jun 18, 2007
Spring, Texas
Well after the first week of running the Pentair Intelliflo 24/7 on High speed, I have got the Intellitouch programmed with the following speed assignements -

Pool runs from 8am - 8pm

Polaris Legend cleaner runs from 8am-11am

Pool pump speed - 2100 RPM

Pump speed when cleaner is on -2300 RPM

Pump speed when spa turns on - 3150 RPM

So every morning when the pool and cleaner start, 1 of the return lines blows air bubbles out. It's the one closest to the cleaner hose.

This did not do this when the pump was running 24/7 nor did it do it when I shut the pump off and turned it back on. COuld this have something to do with the Polaris or maybe the reduced pump speed? Somehow air is getting into that one return line between 8pm and 8am.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Jason. I did notice that the air bubbles get less frequesnt and smaller when the cleaner shuts off and the pump cycles to a lower RPM. I guess that makes sense since the pressure through the line isn't being pushed as fast. Maybe that's why is wasn't obvious when the pump was on full speed ? :roll:

I will go out and re seat the pump basket cover to see if that helps.

ok, cleaned o-ring and put lid back on, bled air out of filter and still have bubbles....this just started after making adjustments to pump speeds.

So I guess the next possibility is a leak in the line somewhere??? That would just suck wouldn't it?

It would have to be fairly small since the psi stay consistent at 10psi.

OK, thanks...bubbles have decreased as the day goes on, but still there more sparatically and smaller. But the past two mornings when the pool turns on is when I notice it. I can't help but think that air is getting into the system overnight and then blows itself out as the pool starts and the longer it runs.

Plus it is only in one return. So the leak would have to be somewhere pretty close to the return nozzle right? If it was further down the line, wouldn't the air escape through all the returns? :roll:

wardsntx said:
Plus it is only in one return. So the leak would have to be somewhere pretty close to the return nozzle right? If it was further down the line, wouldn't the air escape through all the returns? :roll:

Not necessarily. Is the return with bubbles the closest to the pump? If so, the air could come from anywhere and just be coming out of the first return it comes to.

You haven't turned your SWG on yet have you? I'm just trying to think of all bubble producing possibilities.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, should have made that clear...

Wow Dave!!!! do I sense a little hostility???? :lol:

I hate to say it because he is a nice guy, but Adam is in jeopardy of getting a bad reputation and a lot of that is contibuted to Jason and his neglect to the attention to detail and customer service....

Hey, wouldn't be a little uncomfortable if JasonLion was the same Jason? :oops:

OK, that's funny....or maybe more like the Greatest American Hero!

Yeah, feel the same way about Adam. Seemed like such a genuine friendly guy. Makes me feel almost like I was taken advantage of...just sits wrong with me.

Oh well, so life goes. At least I have water!!!!

Ward,

Sorry I no further suggestions on your bubbles....

After seeing your rpm settings, I'm curious... are you using your 4x160 to run your jets in your spa?

This was a lengthy (well, relatively) discussion with my pb (and others that I should've chosen instead of him).

He voluntarily installed a 3hp whisperflo on my spa. I wondered if it was neccesary when he did it... but hey, it was his money.

steve

yes,

an auto valve opens when switching to spa mode and closes off the pool. As soon as you switch off the spa, the valve opens back to pool and then water pumps back through the return lines in the pool as well as uses the spa jet lines as return lines in the spa...seems to work well except for a slight delay for the spa to fill back up enough for the spill over.

Cool.

My valves do the same, but I use a different pump to run the jets.

If I'd had to pay for the extra pump, I would've argued, but since he wanted to do that way, I figured I could always take it out if I didn't like it.

Funny how he really didn't mind spending money on equipment, but had a real tough time getting his people to do things right the first time, and then struggled with spending money to have them re-do them...

Glad yours is working to your liking!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.