Introduction and some questions...

Sep 19, 2007
N. AL
We are new pool owners. The pool is about 2 weeks old. The PB "released" us Saturday. Of course, we can always call with questions. He did a great job of educating the hubby and I. I am currently using the test strips they left here. There are 2 different kinds. I get different readings with both tests. One says my FC is 0.5 the other 3.0. According to the pool store that used the liquid test it is about 3.0. I was running the SWCG at 50%, but have turned it down to 45% now.The Accucheck strip was the closest to the pool store and it now says FC at about 2.

What is the most accurate testkit? I really don't like the strips and want something that gives me a closer reading.

I am interested in the BBB method but have a few questions about that as well. My TA is fine and so that means to lower pH that I need to just use Borax, correct? How do you mix it and add it?

What should I be looking out for on a new pool. So far everything is fine..water is nice and clear and WARM!! The kids are loving night swimming in the 90 degree water when the outside temp is in the 60's.

Edited to add...my filter runs about 16PSI wafter backwashing. Is that too high?

Thanks so much!!

sarah's5girls1boy said:
What is the most accurate testkit? I really don't like the strips and want something that gives me a closer reading.

I am interested in the BBB method but have a few questions about that as well. My TA is fine and so that means to lower pH that I need to just use Borax, correct? How do you mix it and add it?

What should I be looking out for on a new pool. So far everything is fine..water is nice and clear and WARM!! The kids are loving night swimming in the 90 degree water when the outside temp is in the 60's.

Thanks so much!!

A liquid reagent kit like Dave's at TFtestkit.com is your best bet for accuracy and being able to test everything you need to know.

Borax raises the pH. Muriatic acid lowers it.

How are you chlorinating now? Unless you have a salt water chlorinator or are using liquid chlorine, your chlorine source is adding other chemicals to the pool that can build up to levels that can cause problems.

Hi, and welcome to TFP.
You will find a link in my sig for the 'best' test kit we have found.
Read the stickies, also linked in my sig. That will give you some good basic info on BBB
To lower pH, you need to use Muriatic acid, or dry acid (pH down). Jason's calculator (also in my sig) will help you figure out how much you need. Get a bucket of pool water and add the correct amount of acid. Stir it up. (if using dry acid, I think it should dissolve). Pour slowly in front of a return with the pump running.
Also will say that once you read all here, you will probably ditch the pool frog. You can just leave it in place, and don't replace the cartridge. It adds metals to your water (under the guise of 'healthy' minerals) which will eventually cause problems.

Hi, Sarah,

Welcome to the forum.

Your filter pressure is fine.

Things to look out for? Chlorine...chlorine....chlorine. Far too many people misunderstand that chlorine is a consumable item and must be added continuously to keep a healthy pool. How are you chlorinating now? Let us know that and we'll have some good ideas on the best way you can apply your chlorine to keep from getting in trouble.

I would also suggest reading the stickies section. There's a ton of good info there that will help you understand more about pool water chemistry.

Of course, it's self-serving to recommend the kit I produce but it is a very good one...I think the best. The Taylor K-2006 is good as well.

Post back how you're chlorinating and lots of us here will help you keep your pool sparkling.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the SWG.....I think I need a nap!!

Yes, I am using a Salt Water Chlorine Generator, now set at 45%. So the Frog is not good in the long run? It is all plumbed in line. I don't know if I can take it out. Man, I wish I had not put that in now. How do the metals cause problems? Should I turn it off now? We will probably not close the pool until late October as it is usually mild here until then and the heater is working quite nicely!

sarah's5girls1boy said:
Yes, I am using a Salt Water Chlorine Generator, now set at 45%. So the Frog is not good in the long run? It is all plumbed in line. I don't know if I can take it out. Man, I wish I had not put that in now. How do the metals cause problems? Should I turn it off now? We will probably not close the pool until late October as it is usually mild here until then and the heater is working quite nicely!

The metals can cause blond hair to turn green, and can also result in staining to the pool surface, without really adding much benefit. With a SWCG, you will be fine if you just keep an eye on your chlorine level. You will need to know your Total Alkalinity (TA), Calcium Hardness (CH), pH, Cyanuric Acid (CYA), and Free Chlorine(FC) at a minimum. It's not nearly as hard as it seems, just a bunch of new information at once.

Here are a few that I took quickly the other day/night... I don't have any of the pumps/filters/heaters yet. I will get some of those tonight or tomorrow. We still have to lay the sod and do more landscaping but we moved 10,000 pounds of River Rock last weekend and are taking a break this week! We had to move our septic field lines for the pool. The original lines covered the whole back yard. We took them out the front yard. This has been a big project!!

In this first one if you look close you can see the 3 mini-jets along the back...they are turned waaay down in that though. This was the first day "open" and the PB came and showed us how to adjust the things..they reach all the way to the steps and beyond if we turn the valve all the way on...WE have them hitting about middle pool right now.

The second is a night shot with the LED's in "Sangria"mode.. My kids LOVE the Mardi Gras one though so that is what they have it on mostly...my favorite is either Cool Cabaret or Voodoo Lounge....

Attachments

• poolnight.jpg
    poolnight.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 127
  • poolday2.jpg
    poolday2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 127

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP!! :goodjob:

Pool looks great!! The advice already given is so good that I can not proffer anything other than a "welcome" :-D

There's a great bunch of people here who will help you with any questions you can think up :!:

Thanks for the detailed sig! :wink:

Enjoy your new pool - waste

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.