chlorine tablets?

vodka

Jan 13, 2011
south louisiana
Looking for the best chlorine tablets for my inground pool. Is walmart the best place or should I get them online? My system used 3 inch tablets and can fit six in the filter. Should I pit all six or just like 2 or 3? The reason I buy from wally world is because they are the only place around. What should I look for when buying my tablets? Thanks

Generic trichlor tablets are usually best. Avoid double or triple acting tablets as they generally contain copper. WalMart is often as inexpensive as online, though that varies.

Normally you fill up the tablet feeder once every a week or two (depending on how fast it gets used up).

Just remember that for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor tabs, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm. So at 2 ppm FC per day chlorine usage the CYA level will increase by 36 ppm per month unless there is water dilution. The higher CYA level will lower the active chlorine level so if you don't proportionately raise your [EDIT] FC [END-EDIT] level then algae can start to grow faster than chlorine can kill it.

chem geek said:
The higher CYA level will lower the active chlorine level so if you don't proportionately raise yourCYA level then algae can start to grow faster than chlorine can kill it.

I think chem geek meant to say if you don't proportionately raise your FC level then the algae will grow faster than chlorine can kill it.

vodka said:
Got someone coming to clean the pool weekly so he monitors the chemicals in it. Just need some tabs to hold it during the week.
Good luck with that. Most people here find that a once a week guy is woefully inadequate. Also, using tablets for your main chlorination source will cause your CYA to rise and most likely become a problem. Keep an eye on it. Is there a reason you're not handling your pool yourself?

i am not home to do the pool myself so he keeps the levels up and adds the tablets for me. I am currently looking for someone to install my Salt water chlorinator, electrically and all. i also use the the chlorinator and tablets for my source of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.