leak in pool liner

Aug 9, 2007
Help.
I have a leak in my pool somewhere and I was wondering if there is a way to find the leak. I noticed water level keeps going down. The ground is wet around the lower end of pool. If you have any idea of how to find the leak please let me know. I need to get ready to winterize my pool and close it for the year. I would like to find leak before I close it. I don't want the pool to collapse in the winter months.
Teresa

A careful visual inspection is the best approach. Search near the area where the lawn is wet. First figure out if there are pipes in that area, then look at the pool it's self. Holes in the liner are usually visible from underwater with goggles on. Wet spots on plumbing are generally fairly obvious.

Welcome to TFP!!

You have a fair idea of where the leak is, you can use food coloring to check any suspect area (the dye will suck through a leak) Look for any spots that won't move and places where dbris collects, it may be being sucked into the leak.

Food coloring won't stain anything. If you use a lot it can take a day to clear up completely.

When using food coloring to trace leaks you want the water to be completely calm, pump off, and put just a drop of color into the water right near where you think a leak might be. Before the drop dissipates you will be able to see any movement in the water and if you are close enough to the leak will see the water get pulled into the hole.

teresaw said:
thanks all for the information that you have given me. I found the leak and know I can finally close my pool.
thanks again

Hi teresaw - If you still check this site, I was wondering if the food coloring worked for you? or did the visual inspection prove to be better? I also have a leak about half way down the wall of my above ground pool. It's been sitting for a few weeks, with a very very slow leak, until it finally stopped about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I got on my belly (decking around the pool) and looked and rubbed my finger over the waterline - but I could not find anything - even the seam looked fine. So I filled the pool about 2 inches more, and let it sit overnight until it was very still. Then I used food coloring drops around the entire edge, but nothing. I'm now looking into buying a new liner, but just was curious how you found yours. Thanks !

rjbeals, first let me welcome you to TFP :!:

With your AG pool, you may be able to get under the deck and check for weeping or wet spots to help you find the area in which the leak is. If you can narrow it down, follow what Jason and I said above with the dye.

I wish you well with this! and again, welcome you to TFP :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.