tear in liner!

May 15, 2010
El Dorado, AR
First let me say I have missed you guys!! When I saw the tear today I new exactly where to go for help! This tear is in a spot that pulls away often and we have to pull it back in. The liner is 7 years old and I know we need a new one but the estimate is $4500 and it is just not in the budget. Ironically, when the pool man came, he said he was impressed it had made it 7 years. I guess he jinxed us! The tear just showed up this week and the pool man came a month ago! Anyway, is a patch possible? Have a feeling we will see a lot of these in the weak spots where the liner pulls away. Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Attachments

• liner.jpg
    liner.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 215
I wish I had better news, but that looks pretty bad. If you are very lucky you might get a patch to hold for a couple of months, but chances are it will just tear the patch off and continue tearing wider.

Not good news! Pool guy is coming this week to see about patch. As far as the high estimate, he wants to do some work on the bottom of the pool. There are some bumpy places in the shallow end, see it more at night. Doesn't really bother me. He made it sound like just regular maintainance stuff when replacing liner. We didn't call the orignal builder simply because he is from out of town and we wanted to use someone local. He is the only builder in our area (that I know of). The only other option would be to try to put it in ourselves. My husband is very handy at just about everything, of course he wants to do it himself, but it scares me. From what I've read, you only get one shot. Oh well. Lets hope he can patch it for this season, and we will start saving for a new liner! Or hope he has a payment plan! Ha! Thanks for the replies. :)

Ripped at the bead. Not good. A patch won't hold but a vinyl weld might and that's in an area that these weld guys like to work in...they don't have to go far to get to it. Try looking for a Vinyl medic or Vinyl Doctor franchise in your area. Both companies do home visits and quite a few of these guys have worked on pools, not just office furniture. A weld has a better chance at success than a patch ever would in that area of a liner. You should be getting at least 12 years out of a liner unless it's chemically abused. 7 is a little young to think about replacing and I agree with another poster...that quote you got is pretty high. An 18X36 30 mil,average pattern here ( Toronto) would actually get installed with minor bottom repair for 1600-2200. Shop around when it's time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.