About to set my Intex 18'x48'' pool with better equipment

bbhead

Apr 2, 2011
Hi,
I'm new to TFP and looking for any constructive advise.
Sometime in the next couple of weeks I am going to set up my intex pool for a second season.
I purchased a used pump and filter(Pentair Dynamo Performance Pump I think 1 HP, and a Hayward S-166t sand filter)
I also have a Intex saltwater system (CS 8110). The last owner had new sand put in the filter then used it one season.
I have heard the sand will last about 3 seasons but I can tell they did not keep their pool very clean. Should I replace the sand in case their is some kind of contaminate?
My plan is to purchase a wide mouth skimmer, use the return fitting(that comes with the skimmer) for one of the pump returns-
than use the remaining connection to my pool for a second return. I plan on hard pipe plumbing (1.5'') : to support supply and return.
Any tips on this project would be helpful. :blah:

Re: About to set my Intex 18'x48'' pool with better equipmen

You shouldn't need to replace the sand. Three years is short too - some folks go much longer than that, 5/7 years and I've heard some go longer. As far as contaminants, proper chlorine levels take care of anything that might be lurking. Check out this thread for a great install on an Intex:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/backyard-build-in-central-texas-pool-is-up-t28455.html

bbhead said:
How do I determine the height of the pool skimmer, water level mid way?
Hi bbhead,
Sinse the Intex pools don't come with normal skimmers there is no standard as to how one is installed. I just made sure the skimmer was mounted as high on the side of the pool as possible. I took the trim ring of the skimmer and placed it just below the top seam of the pool. I didn't place the skimmer on the seam because the seam is a different thickness than the pool liner. The water level in the skimmer, I think, should be about 2/3 full to get the correct skimmer action. So that is how mine is set up.
pooldeck28.jpg

pooldeck29.jpg

pooldeck30.jpg

pooldeck31.jpg

Since I added the skimmer I use the normal suction line as a dedicated vacum line now.
pooldeck32.jpg

Hope this helps. :cheers:

bbhead said:
Mark,
Thanks for the info. Did you use only the gaskets that came with the skimmer?
No I did not. My skimmer came with one of those gaskets that were basically 2 gaskets in 1. The gasket covers both sides of the liner. To put it on I had to cut the hole then put the gasket around the edge then put the skimmer together. I didn't want to take the chance of the liner stretching out of shape. I have NO leaks around the skimmer. I also mounted the skimmer to match the contour of the pool so my skimmer is not level withthe ground. Slightly angled to match the side of the pool angle. Hope this helps.
:wave:

Okay so pools up and plumed etc.
I need some advise with a problem with the Hayward S-166t sand filter.
Water leaks out of the waste fitting while pumping in all settings.
I guess the valve is bad the valve is a pentair 27-1140 8/98.
Is their any way to repair this without replacement?
:hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.