Question about High Suction with an EcoStar VSP

phalcon51

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2010
So. California
Just curious. With my new EcoStar VSP what should I consider as the safe upper limit for motor rpm or gpm flow rate? I figure I'm most likely to use the highest rpm while vacuuming or running the Pool Cleaner. The Pool Cleaner in particular has a relatively small suction orifice, about 1" x 1.5" in a "D" shape, and the vacuum suction line is the smaller pipe size of the lot at 1.5". I'm concerned that if the suction was too high it could possibly collapse or crack the pvc pipe. Is this possible, or is the pipe strong enough to withstand that? Or would the pump just cavitate first?

My old pump was a Pentair SuperFlo, 1.5 hp @ 3450 rpm where the EcoStar is 2.7 hp @ 3450 rpm.

Thanks for any advice.

Gary

Rigid pipe will be fine whatever happens. Some kinds of flexible pipe could collapse, though that is rare. Generally the pump would cavitate first, which would be easy to hear.

2,000 RPM is probably a good top speed for now. Then, depending on how things go, you can adjust it up or down from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.