ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
I am trying to get a ballpark idea of how much salt I will need when I setup my swg next week and if I put in 0 as my starting point and 3000 as where I want to end up in math it says to add 286 pounds of salt...doors that sound right? I know it's not exact at this point until I get all of my numbers dialed in but I want to make sure I have enough on hand because I live an hour and a half from anywhere I can get salt and it's much easier to return unused than to come up short

Thanks in advance :)

Yep, sounds good. It's ok to keep some extra salt, you'll need to add more periodically from splash out, overflow from rain and carry out in wet suits. I had to add 120 lbs this spring. If the water has been in your pool for a few years then there is likely a good amount of salt in it already, hundreds of ppm. Bleach, muriatic acid, people and tap water all add salt to pools.

Good to hear you getting into pool mode for 2017! With your fresh fill last year, you might have 500 ppm but that is strictly a guess, guess, guess. Or if you drained and refilled, then it will be whatever is in your fill water, probably very low. Salt test strips are one of the few test strips that are sufficiently reliable. You can get them, or the slightly more accurate Taylor K-1766 salt test kit from TF Test Kits.

Congrats on the SWG!

Yes, I use the aquachem salt test strips from TFTestkits.net. When adding salt add a bit less than the low target, brush it and let it circulate for 24 hours or more. It takes some time for the salt to fully dissolve and mix in.

awesome! I thought maybe I input something wrong or wasn't understanding :) I am just learning all I can about my different care options while this pool still stands. if and when I upgrade or replace this one, I want to be ahead and know what my best options are all around and set up the way I want it from the get-go! I like the idea of the swg so that I can get away from handling bleach daily as that is terrible for my lungs with my COPD and kind of a hassle to try and store enough for the summer while it is on sale...I should be getting my new set up in the next day or so, and hope to have it all up and running before too long, but we have several days of rain heading our way, so I may have to just be happy with reading and studying for a bit longer...I will keep my fc up so that the water doesn't start growing anything in the meantime. it was at 60 degrees last week, but 2 days of 80+ degrees brought it up to around 67 degrees or so...but it dropped again overnight and since our last few days have been cool, it should stay down for the moment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, anything that is listed as 99% salt or better is fine to use.

I checked the specs on this a little closer and it does say that it is extra course... wondering how that's going to dissolve for me? I am okay with it taking a little longer to dissolve as long as it's going to do so because my pool will not be warm enough to swim in for a while yet so I'm in no huge hurry

Good to hear you getting into pool mode for 2017! With your fresh fill last year, you might have 500 ppm but that is strictly a guess, guess, guess. Or if you drained and refilled, then it will be whatever is in your fill water, probably very low. Salt test strips are one of the few test strips that are sufficiently reliable. You can get them, or the slightly more accurate Taylor K-1766 salt test kit from TF Test Kits.

Congrats on the SWG!

do I need to get a whole different test kit that is for salt pools or just add salt test strips to the tf100? and this may sound like a dumb question...is bromine and salt the same thing when it comes to pools?

I want to make sure I am squared away as opening time starts getting closer and closer and avoid any green swamps as I get things in order :)

You just add the salt test to your TF-100.

Bromine is an alternative sanitizer of water, and most pool people steer clear. Salt is .... salt :) converted by your SWG to chlorine (simplified version).

You should add SWG to your signature, it can make a difference when asking questions in the future.

I will definitely update my signature as soon as I make a change to my setup. all of my stuff came in yesterday and I need to get salt and salt test strips and hope to have things all up and situated by the end of the weekend. just trying to get a bit of info in advance so that I will look super smart to my hubby as I go along :)

thanks for the info as always!

oh yeah, I am a bit ocd about doing my readings daily once the water gets warm enough to be an issue if ignored. :) I learned so much last year and am now upping my game a little bit since I understand things better now...but swg and sand are both new for me, so just getting my base of knowledge a bit more level with all my other info so that I can TFP the heck outta my oasis! :)

Sounds like you're well set for 2017 :)

+1 to everything above, and just to be sure, steer clear of bromine in all it's forms, including algaecides. That's one of a few things that can cause serious pool tending headaches.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.