Fossil rock for coping

Mar 17, 2011
Has any one had any experience with the white fossil rock slabs for coping? It is very cooling looking and priced rite. It seems hard and not flakey, but the supplier has never sold it for coping, and my PB has no experience with it. Tate

It probably wouldn't be very durable. Some people do pool coping with limestone/travertine, but I don't think I ever would. It's soft (comparatively) and prone to staining/breakage.

If you can post a picture of the specific type you're looking at, it would help. There are lots of different fossil-y rocks :)

Fossil stone, also know as Shell stone, or Marbella stone is used quite a lot around pools here. Though usually quite pricey.
Most of it ships out of Florida, so it would be cheaper the closer you are.
It is a softer stone then travertine or limestone, is great for hot areas as it stays very cool.
One study here showed it was 20 degrees cooler then Acrylic lace decking on over 100 degree days.

We are using a white limestone for our coping - there are even a few fossiled leaves etc in them.
What we have heard (not tested yet as we are still a few weeks away from initial fill) is that the harder and denser the stone, the better it will hold up. I am sure a penetrating sealer will also help.
Very soft stone will probably not be good for coping.
I guess we will know a lot more in a few years.......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.