How Much Salt Should My Chorine Generator Use.

I have a Pentair IC20 Salt Generator. It is designed for up to a 20k gallon pool. My Pool is 12,500 gallons. I have been adjusting the Salt Cell percentage of operation to 33% from 50%. However, I seem to be using about 1 bag of salt per week. How much salt should I expect to use in a pool my size. I also have been noticing I can hardly keep my PH down to the acceptable area. I add Muratic Acid and it brings it down for 1 day and it shoots right back up. I am in Houston and we are experiencing 1 inch of evaporation of water per day, but I was told the salt does not evaporate. This is a new pool and I have never had a salt generator before. Can anyone offer some advice?

Salt only leaves the pool through leakage, backwashing or splashout. The generator doesn't use the salt, it converts it to chlorine, which then converts back to salt.

Your pH issue could be due to high TA. Post a full set of test results and we can be of more help.

I am in Houston, I have the IC-20. My pool is 11,000 gal. My "pool school" guys added the salt to approx. 3800 ppm (they added 7-40 lb bags of salt). That was 3 weeks ago, I have not added salt, it has been constant since. I don't have automation, so my IC-20 has been running at 40% for 8 hrs./day keeping me at 3.5-4.0 ppm FC per day. I add about a quart of muratic acid per week.

You should not be using that much salt. Do you have a way of testing your salt concentration? If not, take a sample to your local pool store.

Salt is a regenerative commodity. It does not get "used up". Unless there is splash-out, rain overflow, or backwashing, etc., you should have as much as you started with. A leak in your system also comes to mind.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.