I've defected to the dark side! New peristaltic pump

What size pump would you recommend for the pool I'm building? I would like to have this setup in the beginning. The PB said my pool is 49-50K gallons but I think it will be more like ~40-45K. I asked him about the liquid injection and he did not know anything about them he has me currently setup with the puck system.

Being conservative and figuring 50,000 gallons and losing 3 ppm per day you'll need ~2½ gallons per day of 6% bleach. Now lets say that you only want to run your pump 6 hours a day, that puts you needing an injection pump that will pump 15 gallons per day minimum. The closest thing Stenner has is a 17 gpd model. Other mfg's make similar sizes.

There are two trains of thought on how to inject the chlorine. Either way works but there are pros and cons to each.
  1. Buy an adjustable output pump and run it the same time the main pump runs and adjust the injection pump to deliver the FC needed.[/*:m:35lqnq8p]
  2. Buy a fixed rate pump and run it on a separate timer and adjust the timer to inject the required FC[/*:m:35lqnq8p]

I wanted to see how many folks have replaced their tubing? Looks like mine has worn out.

The Stenner is running 10 hrs/day since may 2012. Recently FC dropped and I nipoticed the pump was running but not milking the tube. Took it apart and the tube is pretty hard. Rotors seem okay otherwise and run fine without tube. Is this the typical presentation for worn tubing ?

I know it's been mentioned earlier in this thread, but seems a bit quick. It has been pretty hot in NC (& everywhere) so maybe it was sun exposure?

The pump tube should last about a year. Two months is way too short for it to last.
Did you get the santaprene tube?
What size is it?
What strength bleach were you using?
Is the installation shaded or in full sun?

Dave, Thanks for the reply....
I didn't specify which type of tube when ordering, just the standard, but in reading i now see there is a santaprene vs. tygothane. Is one better than the other as far as durability?

I think it's a #1 tube, the tube itself has "100psi max" but there is a bit "1" on the black part, see photo
using 6% clorox bleach
It's in partial sun with a rain roof (not really providing shade).

:party: (<--my son wanted me to add this, not a party yet)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 400
thanks for your help. I'm going to call USWatersystems tomorrow to see what they say and will post back any info I get from them.

ADDENDUM: Okay I talked with Stenner this morning and it seems like the index pin had loosened. Ted from Stenner talked me through the whole thing and it took about 15 minutes to take apart the housing and tighten the pin. He was very patient and could probably do the repair in his sleep.

He did mention that if you look at the shape of the tube when it is pushed up against the housing, a teardrop shape is good while a diamond shape indicates that the tube needs to be changed. Oh I also confirmed that Santoprene is the more durable of the tubes.

Ultimately this was not a tube issue, but loosening of the index pin...now back to a trouble free pool

:whoot:

Well, it looks like my small swagloc stainless steel isolation valve at my injection point I used got clogged up by salt accumulation? and caused my pump to burst a pin hole in my discharge tubing of the Stenner pump...Good thing it was a easy fix by taking it apart and cleaning off the build up, the inline check (plastic) that threaded into my isolation valve didn't seem to be affected or collect ANY salt at all, so apparently when I re-plumb my pad this winter I'll be looking into a CPVC isolation valve (if any) to install rather then a SS one...

OK. So having conquered liquid chlorine, it is time to automate this process as manual dosing is slightly problematic for me (I don't visit the pool beyond morning and night much). In my 24hr/day pump world, I don't need 'fancy' automation on this, as the stenner could run 24/day delivering chlorine.

So, I am able to get (at $54/5g) 15 trade weight bleach, which over the last month, I've been consisent at 5g/wk.

If I do all this math right, I am using 96oz of bleach a day. So, since that is 3/4 of a gallon, I should be fine with the smaller Stenner 45MHP2 which I'll adjust down to deliver my need.

Here are my questions.
Since my chlorine (bleach) comes in a gallon bucket, can I simply mount the pump on the wall, and drop the feed tube down into the bucket, thus saving the money on a tank?
Do I or should I have any concerns about this pump delivering a slow and consistent dose of bleach. I certainly didn't with the previous Pentair tablet chlorinator, but well, liquid?
Am I going to have any "surprise" wear parts? (mostly thinking the tube handing the bleach)

And on connection-correct me if I am thinking wrong:
I will disconnect the tablet feeder, plug the pre-filter (incoming water) feed, and then use the post filter return port for the new Stenner.

Thanks in advance

(BTW most recent log readings: 1.5FC, 7.2PH, 110TA, 150CA, 30CYA, 1CC, 80F, Sand@12#, DE@14# -- 5/30/17 10:25AM)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.