Moving above ground filter and pump

Apr 6, 2011
I have a 21 foot above ground pool that sits in a 24x24 3 foot deep drop down in my back yard. I have always had the pool filter beside the pool and when I need to clean it (cartridge filter) it drains water out of the drop down and into the alley and the city threatens to give me a fine. Is it possible to place the filter on the ground above where the excess water would drain onto my yard. I have a waterway 150 sq foot cartridge filter and I need a new pump, but before I purchase a pump I wanted to know if I had to buy a specific kind to use if I was to move pump and filter. The place where I would move it would be no further than 4 foot from where it is now.

Welcome to TFP.

Give us your equipment info (brand, model, etc) and we can better help you. Also tell is how much higher than the waterline the pump will be once moved.

You may need an inground pump but your existing filter should be fine.

How much water are we talking about? If it's just a filter full, that's ridiculous. If your pool starts to drain through the open filter (this is what it sounds like you're describing), then it would be much easier to put valves on the lines so you won't lose water when you open it up.

It is a 21 foot x 52in pool, old pump was a hi-flo supreme waterway 1.5hp and a 150sq ft waterway cartridge filter. I measured today and the area it is in is 22x22 ft sq and 3 foot deep, brick walled and concrete bottom. My alley is paved and is directly behind the drain from the drop down and pavement is sloped leading to a busy intersection and I live on a corner. The amount of water from the filter and pump quickly runs into the street and pools there. I do have valves to prevent water loss. Behind the house is a large car dealership and he calls the city if i have any drainage. The pool fits snug in the drop down and very little room for water to go except out the drain. I have plugged the drain before to allow water to evaporate, but my last pool had rust and mold so i leave the drain open. It would be way more convenient to put up on high ground to have room to work and not worry about drainage. The city here says all pool water has to go into sewer system and now there are water restrictions starting on the first for any drainage running out of yard. They are very strict here concerning water waste. I try to go out on rainy days to clean the filter so it is not obvious.

If I set the drain on high ground it will be at 36 inches so approx a little over a foot below full water line.

What h/p could I use? I had the 1.5 hp on there because I got it cheap and it worked great with the cartridge filter. I only had to run about 3-4 hrs a day and had beautiful water. But if I get the same result from a smaller pump then thats what i will do.

I spent the last few days reading the forum and I wish I would have found this years ago. Thanks for your time

We have the same size pool. My old pump was 1.5 hp single speed and it was way more pump than I needed. My current pump is a 1hp two speed and I keep it on low most of the time. I can even vacuum with it on low if I want. I would not go larger than a 3/4 hp single speed, or a 1 hp two speed. A 3/4 hp two speed would be awsome, and if you look at an inground pump you should be able to find one.

Thanks, I have been looking at some of the pumps that were recommended. I think I will invest in a better quality one this time. Running pipe from the bottom of the skimmer to the pump will be below the waterline, but is it enough to use an above ground pump? Is there any advantage except price to using an above ground pump vs an inground one? The cartridge filter keeps the water very clean, but there is alot of maintenance involved with it, especially when pool is very dirty. Would a DE or Sand be a better option since I am upgrading?

Sorry so many questions!

If the pump is below the water line and the pipe/hose runs are short then you should use an above ground pump. In-ground pumps are designed for longer pipe runs and are less efficient when used on short pipe runs.

Each kind of filter has advantages and disadvantages. The key thing is to get as large a filter as you can afford and have room for. A larger filter means longer time between cleaning and more efficient filtering. DE is the highest maintenance, while sand is the lowest maintenance. DE is also the best water clarity, while sand is the lowest water clarity (while still excellent for most people). Cartridge filter are in-between on both measures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We put our intex 12x24 Ultraframe in a big hole with the ground held back by retaining walls about 2 feet from edge of pool. But that leaves so little room to manuever around and adjust the filter and SWCG. So we'd like to move the equipment away and up. Since this is above ground equipment Intex Krystal Clean Sandfilter and Krystal Clear Saltwater System is that unlikely to still work? Is there a maximum hose length? Do they have to stay below water level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.