Jandy AquaPure 1400 - salt readout high (erroneous)

Aug 31, 2010
New Caney, TX 77357
Back in January the salt level reported by the SWG did not agree with pool store readings but the water temp was very cold so did not worry about it based on what I had read on this site. Now the water temp is up around 69-70 and I have a 1000 PPM difference between the SWG readout and pool store test results. Test today was 2700 PPM from the pool store and 3700-3800 reported by AquaPure. Had the same results two weeks ago at a different store.

What could cause this and how to correct? Pool was just installed in December.

Pool store test results are legendary for being wildly wrong sometimes. As long as the SWG appears to be working, trust it's salt readout over the pool store. The only times when a SWG salt readout is normally wrong is when the water is cold or the cell is about to fail. When the cell is failing the salt level will read lower than actual. It is more or less unheard of for the salt level to be wrong high, and common for pool stores to be way off, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Here is the calibration procedure from the aquapure troubleshooting guide:

Salinity Calibration

Conditions to check before calibrating

The salinity reading must be compared to a reliable outside source. ( Myron meter, titration test, etc.) Minor variations are to be expected.The flow sensor must be cleaned, and checked for damage.If unit has a Rev. 8 front board it must be tested before proceeding. Salt must NOT have been added within the last 24 hours.If a spare flow sensor is available. Connect it to the unit and place it in a bucket of the pool water to compare readings.Note-The unit must have the power turned off before either the old or new flow sensor can be installed. Each time a flow sensor is unplugged and plugged back in again the computer inside the unit must be reset by turning the power ‘off’and then ‘on’. Failure to do this will result in erroneous readings.

•Press the “Salinity”button and hold it until it beeps 3 times. The system will beep when you push it and then at 5 seconds and again at 10 seconds. Release the button after the 3rdbeep.
•Press and release the “Temperature “button within 5 seconds to enter the salinity calibration screen.
•The system will display the salinity reading, press the up arrowto increase the reading and the down arrow to decrease the reading.
•When the proper reading is reached press the “Temperature”button within 5 seconds to store it in memory

Just wonder who is your PB?? You might get Roger out to fix it, great guy been around pools forever.. I need to check my email and see if possible I have it..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IIRC, the Aquapure uses a similar salinity test to the Pentair, conduction. Typically, they are factory set at 75 degrees. Each degree lower will yield approximately a 200 ppm drop in what it thinks the salt level is. I think your unit is behaving as expected, Adding some additional salt will cure the alarm until the temp starts climbing. Then it will think its has too much salt.

Scott

Hello everyone. First post. This place has been a great source of information and training to care for my own pool.

So I just had my new pool finished in Aug. PB gave me a pool service to "turn up" my pool and balance the water, etc, etc. I bought my TFT-100 kit with a Taylor Salt Drop Tester.

My Salt tester has been consistently giving me 5000PPM of salt. The Aqua Pure has been giving me 4.5g/l ~ 4500PPM. The Pool guy's salt tests, electronic gave him a result of 4200PPM, his test strips AquaCheck (I asked him to test twice) came back at 3900 then 4200.

I'm guessing my Salt drop tester is the most accurate. According to the pool calculator I will need to replace 22% of the water. Ugh....

Pool guy wants to re-calibrate the salinity sensor, to which I say Nay Nay. According to the manual, high concentrations at 5000 or more will burn out the power center. I don't feel like paying $1500 for another unit. So far this pool guy has not impressed me, however he's been doing this for a decade or more. Should I trust him???

Now to calibrate the salinity sensor, since it's temperature dependent, how would I establish a base line so that I know the SWCG is failing?? At 200PPM per degree is huge swing from summer to winter.

Just tested the salinity of the pool again with the Taylor Drop salt test. Measured 5000PPM. Funny thing, the Aqua Pure 1400 just reported 5.1 g/l. Interesting....

Looks like it doesn't need calibration after all.

PoolGuyNJ said:
IIRC, the Aquapure uses a similar salinity test to the Pentair, conduction. Typically, they are factory set at 75 degrees. Each degree lower will yield approximately a 200 ppm drop in what it thinks the salt level is. I think your unit is behaving as expected, Adding some additional salt will cure the alarm until the temp starts climbing. Then it will think its has too much salt.

Scott

Those numbers don't quite jive with my experience running our pool and Aquapure 1400 over the past winter. I would say a 200ppm drop for every TEN degrees below 75 is closer to what I observed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.