pool cover torn apart.....help!!

Jul 19, 2010
we had a huge wind storm the other day which took out my above ground pool cover and dumped the water on top into the pool. It held up well all winter until this wind storm. What do I do now. It is only early April and I live in Buffalo. We won't be swimming for about 2 and a half months yet at least. Do I buy another cover and redo or start treating the water now, or leave it until it warms up some??? :(

Is your filter system currently installed and operational or did you break it down for the offseason?
I think whether or not you do somehting is tied to whetehr or not you want to put things back now .. what if they freeze while outside this early in the season etc... (I am in Cleveland and we are still near freezing too...)

Not sure if this is the best answer but...

You've probably got a LOT of 'stuff' in the pool, scooping out as much as you can now is a good idea. If you're not going to be able to swim (weather wise) for 2 months, I'd leave it as that for now. Plan on getting the pump system running a couple weeks before you open so you can deal with the mess and be ready for the first day you CAN swim :)

If you're likely to get lots of spring debris (like from trees), slap a new cover on - if not, let it sit as it is and know you've got your work cut out for you, when you do open the pool :(

" (I am in Cleveland and we are still near freezing too...) "
Hey Red Shirt Ensign, I live about an hour or so from you in a suburb of beeeeeeeeeeeutiful Youngstown, Ohio.

I am beginning to wonder if we will ever have weather nice enough in which to swim. Rain,, snow, wind, debris. You name it, we have seen it this spring! :!:

As for Jimbo010, the amount of work with which you will be faced come opening will depend partially on what you do now. cover and wait or leave open and wait. either way, you (WE) have to wait to get in to clean and swim. It can't get here soon enough! (The swimming, not the cleaning :wink: )

Dora your not lying that's for sure! Im waiting for an install date for my new pool and Temps and rain will not cooperate!! I may never get it at this rate!

I'm glad I plunked down now for the gas heater because I may need to get any use of it this summer! 2 summers ago we had 3 days above 80 all summer! (near the lake)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.