Ok everything is just about perfect with the BBB BUT........

jaydar

Mar 30, 2011
I can't find any information about adding salt to a swimming pool that has no salt water chlorine generator.
I know Jason said I could and I've read somewhere else that they have added salt to a regular chlorine pool,but no matter how I ask the question on a search engine....they don't seem to understand that I don't have a swcg and I don't intend to install one....I just want to know the correct way to add salt to a regular pool and what the salt solution limits would be.

Thank you in advance.
And thank you all so much for helping get this BBB set up and straightened out.

Re: Ok everything is just about perfect with the BBB BUT....

Here's the down and salty of it! :mrgreen:

1. Test your water to see how much salt is in there now.
2. Use the Pool Calc to determine how much salt you need to bring it to about 2000 ppm.
3. Go to your local Pool or big box store and buy that much salt.
4. Turn on your pump and let it run for at least two days after adding salt.
5. Start dumping in all the bags of salt that you got in #3.
6. Stir the salt around with your pool brush, etc until it's dissolved.
7. Return your pump to it's regularly sechduled program after two days.
8. Dive in and enjoy!

Would this actually make the water "feel" better even without a SWCG? If so, I might be interested myself.

Just to make sure the salt is completely mixed in the pool water. It really wouldn't hurt anything if you didn't, but you may have spots of high salinity water for a while if you don't.

Woody -- People say it makes the water softer.

Bama Rambler said:
Just to make sure the salt is completely mixed in the pool water. It really wouldn't hurt anything if you didn't, but you may have spots of high salinity water for a while if you don't.

Oh... I think you wanted that to be the step after you add salt. The way it is written it seemed to me something you would do prior to adding salt. Then again, I am stupid at times.

We've done this for 2 years now - trust me it makes the water feel much softer and your skin feels a lot better after you get out! Use the solar salt - just dump it in and enjoy!

This sounds like something I may want to try. It seems fairly cheap to try but are there any negative's or does it change any other conditions in a normal plaster chlorine pool? Also, how fast does salt last, how often will I have to add more?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Salt can damage some of the softer natural stones. Otherwise, no disadvantages.

Salt is only lost to splash out, backwashing, and overflow. Normally you only need to add some more once per season.

We did that for a long time before we went to a SWG. It felt great and loved it. Then we thought, if it's already in there, lets make use of it. Got a SWG, so now if feels great and works for us too.

cmbutterbaugh said:
I ws reading this post and am not quite sure why you would use salt without a SWG? Does it just make the water feel better on the skin?
Yes, some people say that it makes the water feel silkier. It is also much easier on the eyes open in the water since the higher salt level of 3000 ppm is closer to that of human tears of 9000 ppm so there is less osmotic pressure from water entering the eye.

Bama Rambler said:
Here's the down and salty of it! :mrgreen:

1. Test your water to see how much salt is in there now.
2. Use the Pool Calc to determine how much salt you need to bring it to about 2000 ppm.
3. Go to your local Pool or big box store and buy that much salt.
4. Turn on your pump and let it run for at least two days after adding salt.
5. Start dumping in all the bags of salt that you got in #3.
6. Stir the salt around with your pool brush, etc until it's dissolved.
7. Return your pump to it's regularly sechduled program after two days.
8. Dive in and enjoy!

This is probably a *really* dumb question, but should everyone stay out of the pool for the 48 hours while the pump is circulating the salt? I often have this same question, regardless of the chemical/additive being discussed. If anyone can point me to a good thread regarding when to stay out and when it's OK to get in, I would be grateful. I have so much to learn, even though I spend pretty much every night here, reading! TIA!

Salt is harmless, you can swim while adding salt if you want to. The same goes for baking soda. It is best to stay out for half an hour when adding bleach or chlorine to make sure you don't swim through a high concentration before it mixes in thoroughly.

I would prefer to see borax added slowly through the skimmer but around the pool and then brushed off the pool floor (if necessary) will work, too.

Perfectly safe to swim in a pool having just put borax in.....no time limit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.