Looking For Swamp Guidance

Ok, that test kit will do most of what you need, you can get just the FAS-DPD test and maybe the CYA only test kit from TF test kit, you don't need the whole TF-100 for now until you run out of supplies on the Leslies kit.

Chlorine free water is any source of water that has not had chlorine added, rain water, posssibly bottled water, distilled water, municipal tap water supplies usually have chlorine added which will throw off the test some. In reality when looking for this big of numbers even tap water is unlikely to throw it off much.

Ike

I'm about 7 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine in and CC is staying at shock level, somewhere between 20-30 (hard to tell with this crappy tester). The water has turned to light teal color but very cloudy, not see through at all. The filter got backwashed once more, lots of dirty DE came out, and then I added more fresh DE. After adding 15lbs of calcium to raise CH to 150 the water becamame sort of bubbly, it basically looks like I have a giant spa in my backyard :eek: I didn't expect this sort of progress this quickly and am really greatful for the information and advice here. Thanks again! :salut:

Pics of Spa Water:

i8qO0.jpg

cVh9i.jpg

Keep at it and keep the chlorine level up, this is a war against algae and chlorine is the ammunition if you don't supply enough the algae will take back the progress you have already made.

Ike

p.s. Most of the time I have heard of foaming like your getting is when the pool was previously maintained with Baquacil

DE filters will clear a swamp much quicker than a sand filter.
You will need to monitor the pressure on the filter and backwash/replace DE powder regularly.
The color of the water should turn from teal to a blue/grey.
The blue/grey water should be getting lighter each day.
You should be seeing white particles suspended in the water and white/grey particles collecting on the steps. This is dead algae.

You should be able to see the steps and the bottom in the shallow end very soon.
Within a couple of days you will start to see the main drain.

Maintain the water at shock level, brush the pool daily, and soon you will have a clear pool.

The foaming is normal and we see it often in pools with a large amount of algae clinging to the pool surfaces.
In pools with minor algae outbreaks you may see a white film on the water but not really a thick foam.
Don't worry, the filter will take care of the foam.

PoolSchoolGrad is mostly correct. The only thing I'll add is not to get discouraged if you don't see the main drain in a couple of days. Sometimes it takes longer than a couple of days. Every pool is different.

I dont have much to add, but keep at it. I had a similar issue to yours and took about a month to get it cleared up. While I was working it was harder to keep FC up to shock level so that is the reason it took longer.

On another note I have the same brand fiter as you except my is a ns36. I have been told these filters are close to 20 years old if not more.

On the backwash handle I assume you figured it out how to do it. You have to turn it to unlock it and then pull up. But from the looks of it you figured that out already. Also more than likely your backwash handle uses little c clamps to hold the plungers in place. They now make a much better one that is all welded together. So if the c clamps on that every need replacing, I would just replace the whole plunger handle. As the ones they make now are much much better.

oops

Did not mean to imply the pool would be clear in 2 days. :oops:

Within a few days you will see the steps and the shallow end of the pool.
Usually within a couple of days after seeing the bottom in the shallow end of the pool, the main drain comes into view.
After you see the main drain, it can still take an additional week to see the bottom in the deep end.
Even after you see the bottom in the deep end, it could take an additional week for the water to be clear.
The DE filters...even the older ones, seem to clear the swamps much quicker than the sand filters, but 2 days to clear any type of algae outbreak would be wishfull thinking. :-D

Hope this helps.

Woke up today to some baby ducks in my pool.

USBTz.jpg

The high chlorine level can't be good for them and I noticed some in a neighboring swamp so I netted them out (despite their attempts at swimming away from me) and sent them through the fence towards the momma duck.

7IUwr.jpg

The stairs are starting to show and the water is a light grayish color. I'm going to be gone all day tomorrow so hopefully the chlorine level stays up while I'm gone. The progress is happenening a lot faster then I thought.

T6LOU.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How long has it been since you backwashed or cleaned your filter? This is exactly what I would expect with a sand filter, but with DE the water should be clearing up a little faster than this.

One option, which I don't really recommend but which is simple to try, would be to try some clarifier. Often enough clarifier does nothing, but now and then it completely solves a problem like this one in just a few hours.

what am I supposed to do next?
Brush

Do you have a soft nylon brush for the end of the pool pole?

Brush every place in the pool that comes in contact with water. Brush the steps, sides, bottom. Brush the top and bottom of the steps of the ladder. Brush around the light fixture, the return(s) and the skimmer(s). Brush Daily

Maintain the water at shock level, backwash the filter when needed, brush daily, wait for the chlorine to kill all the algae and for the filter to remove all the dead algae from the water.

I tried backwashing and the water is clear with no dirty DE coming out, though I know I put plenty in the filter. I'll try some clarifier and see what happens. I've been brushing daily and there is still some white stuff floating but not too much. Maybe all the algae is gone?

How long has it been since the filter was opened up and cleaned out? When you backwash you should get quite a bit of DE coming out at least at first. If you don't then something is wrong inside the filter.

This may be your problem. According to the picture of your filter, it is 60sq ft. The instructions on the label say to add a 1lb can of DE for every 4 sq ft of filter. If I calculated correctly, that would be 15 cans of DE, but you only put in 10 cans after you cleaned the grids. You are 5 lbs short. When there is not enough DE it does not coat the grids well enough to stop the debris from passing through. There will also be too thin a coat to lose any while backwashing. Try adding 5 more lbs and see if it helps.
Filter Specs
fbu4H.jpg

Thanks I wasn't sure how to calculate the filter area, I didn't realize it was right in front of my eyes! I added some DE and I will go try some clarifier. Also, I was just brushing the pool and there seems to be a white dust in the pool, very fine, that clouds up when moved. Is this just dead algae?

I added the clarifier and unfortunately received to results, the water is still very cloudy. Today will be the fourth day running the filter straight and even after adding more DE (i added 8-9 to compensate for a bit lost of a previous backwash) backwashing yields no dirty DE and clean water. Should I maybe open up the filter and clean it again?

I've been testing my FC level by doing 4-1 ratio pool vs free water and multiplying by 5 (I know not the most accurate method but all I got) and it seems very high. Even if i do all pool water with the basic chlorine test it comes out dark orange, way beyond the bright yellow max reading of 5. I'm assuming it's still at shock level though the last bit of liquid chlorine I added was about half gallon yesterday, not very much at all. Am I just at a stall until I receive a good chlorine level tester? Even at leslie's pool supply they test with the basic one I'm using. The water does seem clean, just cloudy, and I'm not seeing anymore algae. Thanks again for everybody's help and patience.

Cloudy pool 4/10/2011 12:48:
alhLx.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.