CGS

Sep 15, 2008
Just getting the pool up and running.

FC: .4
CC: .2
TA 90
CYA ~55
PH 7.5

I didn't test for CH since i have a vinyl pool. I know I need to bring the FC up and possibly shock if needed but how do the other numbers look. I was happy that the CYA was down from last year. I'm going to try and do the BBB method exclusively this year, so I will have to get a feel for how much bleach I will have to add on a daily basis. I was hoping that I could get to a point where I would only have to add every two days, but I'm guessing that wouldn't work.

I just added enough bleach to bring the FC up to about 7.5. I'll check tomorrow to see if I have lost any or if I still have CC although it may be difficult as it looks like we might get a fair share of rain.

Your numbers look fine, especially if you are using bleach or liquid chlorine. CC at 0.2 is fine, especially if you are just opening.

It is always a good idea to test CH at least once a year. With a vinyl liner it is fine when CH is very low, but there can still be problems if CH gets too high.

solar cover during the week definitely kept my chlorine usage down late summer. Doubt you could keep solar cover on in Mississippi in July without the pool boiling. You can probably get an idea of how much chlorine you need to add each day so you can just add a normal dosage without testing on busy days as long as you don't repeat too many days in a row.

Just check my chlorine again. It was up to 11 ppm after adding two 174oz jugs of 6% so my estimate of 24,000 gallons must be off a bit. Either that or the dollar store bleach was stronger than the 6% indicated on the jug?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
23,900 gallons so, you were correct; essentially 24,000 gallons.

That 348 oz of 6% bleach should raise your pool's FC by 7 ppm. That would give you a total FC of 7.4 ppm.

What type of test kit are you using?

Are you drawing your sample from the pool with the pump running and the water thoroughly mixed?

This testing was done with a Taylor kit although I don't recall the number off the top of my head. Its the dropper kit though and not the one that you have to color compare for chlorine.

The pump was running but I do not know if it had time to mix completely or not. What is the rule of thumb on that?

It is best to have the pump running for an hour before taking a water sample for testing. Except if you just added salt and are measuring salt, you should have the pump running for 24 hours before testing again.

I'm still doing a little head scratching on this one. I added 3/4 of a gallon (96oz) of chlorine (10%) and got a 7 ppm increase on FC instead of the ~3.1 I was expecting. I guess I need to go remeasure my pool.

Keep in mind that there are many different possible sources of error. The chlorine might have been 12%, or 8%, or even 15%. Chlorine starts stronger than the labeled concentration and then loses strength over time. The amount added might not have been what you thought it was. Your pool size might be off. One or both of the FC level tests might have been wrong. Someone or something else might have added chlorine (an SWG for example).

For the error to be that large, it is quite possible that more than one source of error applies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.