Pool First Aid/HP Refrigerant

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Still haven't gotten the HP fixed up other than to confirm that the theory of broken heat exchanger presented here is likely correct. Also, the sparkle is gone to be replaced with an oily sheen on the surface (presumably refrigerant).

In previous posts, there was reference to the enzymes in Pool First Aid as aiding in some of the cleanup, and you do see some of the action as the gobs are broken down into baby gobs. I've skimmmed up as much as I can, but two things are working against me:

The few times that I've run the filter, a cloud comes out of the returns and the sheen gets worse. I think it's pervavise thru the pipes and even the filter. Just more extended running, First Aid, and a cleaning of the cartridge will improve that, right? As for cartridge cleaning, anything better than soaking in _______________ detergent? (was it dishwashing or dishwasher?)

The HP has not been fixed yet (Leslie's handed off to manufacturer so that it could be serviced under warranty as opposed to replacing - I'll fight that battle later) so there may still be remaining refrigerant coming out? Would have thought that after a certain point it would be all gone. How much does it have - gallons?

So, wasted a beautiful swim day yesterday since I did not want to feel like I just swam in the Gulf oil spill.... Once I get a fixed up system, what is a reasonable estimate of Pool First Aid applications and ultimately chlorine. Product says do not shock within few hours before/after, but I know that shocking is a process etc - do I need to ramp up the chlorine at some point to complete the breakdown etc?

I hope that by the time tax deadline rolls around and I'm working < 60 hours/week I can get to enjoy a sparkling pool!

Right, dishwasher. Guess I use the pellets. When I searched dishwasher for recommended brand, saw references to TSP too. I won't start a "do I need to worry about phosphates" thread after I use trisodium phosphate and not rinse the cartridge too well.

Serious follow-up question: can I put a 100 sq ft cartridge (from my old filter) in a 175 sq. ft. filter? Just gives me an alternative so I can run the pump 24/7 while soaking the 175 sq footer. May not be as effective, but for a day can't hurt, right?

So a week after adding the First Aid, cleaning out the filter, and running 24/7 for a few days, I got sparkling pool again! As of Saturday, had a very small oily film along the water line and inside the skimmer, so I sprayed HOCl directly on it. Short of buying another bottle of the First Aid and spraying it directly, any other way to clear that up?

Try something like this.

I can't remember what it's called, but they come in a "sheet" form also - something like a 2 foot by 2 foot square.

Same thing happened to my heat pump a bunch of years ago, and the repair guy left one floating in the pool when he came out to evaluate the situation. It had absorbed the sheen within a day or two, if I remember correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.