Darkside of the Pool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2010
A not-so-quick question:

Our company just received a product called Velvet-Up, under our own Brandname. Here's the label:

-----
''This innovative product makes spa water crystal clear. Velvet-Up has been specially formulated to provide a feeling of well-being to the skin. the Velvet-Up does not evaporate and is not affected by other spa chemicals. ((which I doubt))

Direction for Use: (One cap is equivalent to 90g)
Swimming Pool Start-Up: To have a well balanced water consult your dealer concerning the initial procedures.

Spread on the surface of the spa water 100g of Velvet-Up by 1,000 L of water, by operating the filtration/circulation system without the ventilation system, for at least 20 minutes after application. Then, balance the pH between 7.2 and 7.8.

Weekly Routine Maintenance: Spread over the surface of the spa water 30g or 1/3 cap of Velvet-Up by 1000 L of water ((Why, if it isn't affected by chemicals and don't evaporate???)), by operating the filtration/circulation system without the ventillation system, for at least 20 minutes after the application. Then, balance the pH between 7.2 and 7.8. Your spa water has never been so fresh.

Precautions
DANGEROUS FUMES FORM WHEN MIXED WITH OTHER PRODUCTS. MAY IRRITATE EYES. Do not mix with other household chemicals. Do not breathe fumes. Do not get in eyes. Keep out of reach of children.
SQUEEZE CAP SIDES HARD WHILE UNSCREWING.

First Aid Treatment
Contains Sodium Tetraborate pentahydrate. If swallowed, call a Poison Control Center or doctor immediately. Do not induce vomiting. If in eyes, rinse with water for at least 15 minutes. If breathed in, move person to fresh air.''
-----

Here's the questions:
-How can I know it is made solely from Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate, since they don't name other products?
-Is there a difference between ''Pentahydrate'' and ''Decahydrate'' when it comes to results? 5 parts hydrogen versus 10 parts have an effect?
-Why would a product need a weekly addition if it doesn't evaporate nor is affected by other chemicals?

And if it works just like regular borates, where can I find the ''how to'' both for pool and spas? I don't trust the label.

Thanks a lot by the way, you guys (and gals) are always so helpful. :p

Darkside of the Pool said:
A not-so-quick question:
Contains Sodium Tetraborate pentahydrate.
-----

Here's the questions:
-How can I know it is made solely from Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate, since they don't name other products?
-Is there a difference between ''Pentahydrate'' and ''Decahydrate'' when it comes to results? 5 parts hydrogen versus 10 parts have an effect?
-Why would a product need a weekly addition if it doesn't evaporate nor is affected by other chemicals?

And if it works just like regular borates, where can I find the ''how to'' both for pool and spas? I don't trust the label.

Thanks a lot by the way, you guys (and gals) are always so helpful. :p
As Josh mentioned, see if you can get an MSDS for this product.

The chemical sodium tetraborate pentahydrate is identical to Proteam Gentle Spa and is equivalent to 20 Mule Team Borax except the latter has more water content (decahydrate) in it. With Borax, you just need to add more weight for equivalent effect compared to pentahydrate, but you can use The Pool Calculator to figure all that out for you ("borax" is sodium tetraborate decahydrate).

The product should not need weekly addition unless there was significant splash-out. I suspect that the product contains more than just the borax.

100 grams of sodium tetraborate pentahydrate in 1000 liters would be 15 ppm Borates. The weekly 30 grams would be 4.5 ppm Borates.

Apparently I do not, yet, have access to a Data Sheet about this product.
The Formal MSDS might not even be needed as the product is not intended for use in the United States.
I'll be back as soon as I can ((read: if)) with additionnal infos.

Thanks anyways.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.