CPVC leak from pump

crudsrus

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2010
Yuma AZ
Hello to everyone, I'm fairly knowledgeable working with PVC repairs but I will require very detailed instructions. :hammer:
Pipe is leaking just below the fitting coming from the top of the pump. (Pressure side Any suggestions on a better setup or perhaps using a quick disconnect union in this area would be greatly appreciated. I attempted to highlight in red the leaking fitting. The discolored PVC is from 3 seasons of intense SWArizona heat
Thanks in advance for your help.

[attachment=0:3cwkbutv]Filter Pump leak.jpg[/attachment:3cwkbutv]

Attachments

• Filter Pump leak.jpg
    Filter Pump leak.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 193
I'd probably put a union in the longest stretch of straight pipe to the right of the pump. Actually I'd probably replace that whole run and add a union above the pump. That way you can tighten the threaded fitting later if needed. I'm always paranoid about overtightening it.

The adapter going into the pump doesn't look like a typical pool part since it's smaller than the ell. When you replace, use pipe joint compound designed for plastic pipe

I'd just replumb from the pump to the last elbow before the filter. Cut the pipe about halfway between the 90 and 45 elbows, unscrew it from the pump and toss it, and you'll be good to go. Make sure you clean the threads really well and use LOTS of pipe dope; those threaded joints are very prone to small leaks, as you've just learned :goodjob:

Melt in the sun: Got it, should I use a union or not?

John T: The gray pipe is a threaded adapter which was threaded on both ends. The pb cut the other end and used it as a slip into the 90deg.
So I should use the sch80 with a union? I guess the question is to union or not to union? :cheers:

Oh is all this available at Lowes or HD? I have the pipe dope,blue glue, and a good hacksaw blade.

I'd use 2 unions on the discharge piping of the pump (see red squares). One on the top of the pump and one on the horizontal section. Raise that 90 up that right on top of the pump. That way you could remove the entire section if you ever had to work on the pump or the filter.

Attachments

• Filter Pump leak.jpg
    Filter Pump leak.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 155
Finally finished the new piping from pump to filter. I still have a very small leak from the top of pump, but the pump primes almost immediately. I have a shaft seal leak to tackle next weekend. Thanks to all for your help. :wave:
[attachment=0:cvkhv6fq]resize new plumb.jpg[/attachment:cvkhv6fq]

Attachments

• resize new plumb.jpg
    resize new plumb.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 121

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, UV will degrade the plastic, and it will look awful after a while, but it takes something over 100 years in a brightly sunlit location before it degrades enough to actually fail. No one will still have their original PVC after that long, so you don't need to worry about it failing.

JasonLion said:
Yes, UV will degrade the plastic, and it will look awful after a while, but it takes something over 100 years in a brightly sunlit location before it degrades enough to actually fail. No one will still have their original PVC after that long, so you don't need to worry about it failing.

When I moved my equipment, I was surprised at how brittle the PVC that had been exposed to the sun had become. Certainly not to the point of failure, but sawing the pipe that had been exposed for a few years produced scallops where the material chipped away at the cut, while the new pipe or the pipe that had been underground produced the normal "fuzz" on the cut.

I was surprised at the difference. I don't believe it would make a difference in an undisturbed installation, but if your winterization process sees you flexing the pipe to get things disconnected, I could see a joint failing eventually due to it becoming brittle.

This is only one experience with one brand of pipe, but I believe that when combined with the esthetics of painted pipe, that it is worthwhile to paint the exposed PVC.

I recently finished a pool that had been started over two years ago. All of the plumbing was left in open trenches.
The pipe was so brittle when you moved it, it snapped, and you could take a rock and poke a hole in it easily. Obviously we replumbed the whole thing.
PS. This is why it is required by local code to be painted. Sun here is brutal

Here is a little tech sheet on this for a two year study. http://www.pwpipe.com/literature/tb/tb-d9.pdf
Though pipe may not fail, why would you want to risk damage when paint is so cheap.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.