Aeration

Apr 3, 2011
Katy, Tx
I was thinking of putting a T into my return line, coming up with 3/4" pvc, and putting a water spicket on it. Then using a short hose connected to a cheap plastic sprinkler, sitting on top of my deck which is level with the top of my pool, to use as an aerator. When the pump is running, I could just open the spicket a bit and turn on the sprinkler, and of course have it pointing back into the pool. I figure this would work for aeration, as well as to help cool the water temp during the summer.

Does this sound like it would work?

Yes, but you might need either a 3-way valve or a valve in both the return line and in the line to the aeration device. If your return fitting restriction is low, you might need to partially restrict the return to get a good flow.

I wouldn't mess with garden hose size fittings or a sprinkler. You really want more water than that. I'd just use about 1" PVC with some holes drilled in it as your sprinkler. More flow would mean more aeration. You could experiment for some cool effects visually as well.

Cool. Well I have pleanty of pressure. You can ride the rapids around my pool on a float if you wanted. I almost think I have too much. But I have enough to pressure a spicket as well. I think I'll try a sprinkler first, if it doesnt do enough, then I'll build one out of pvc and see what that does.

They already make plenty of different kinds of "sprinklers" you can just screw into the return and replace the eyball. Mine will shoot 15 feet in the air above the pool! all the aeration and colling effect you need. They run around 25 bucks or so.
You need more than that? It's a cold hard rain standing under mine.

No that would be fine, I'm just lazy and looking for something that I can put inline and turn on / off when I want to, rather than hooking it up to the return and then having to take it off each time. I only have one return, and if I leave it on, I'm not sure how well the circulation would work. Whereas if I leave the return as is, and put a sprinkler inline, then I can turn the sprinkler on and off when I want, without affecting the return and / or circulation.

rwrogers11 said:
No that would be fine, I'm just lazy and looking for something that I can put inline and turn on / off when I want to, rather than hooking it up to the return and then having to take it off each time. I only have one return, and if I leave it on, I'm not sure how well the circulation would work. Whereas if I leave the return as is, and put a sprinkler inline, then I can turn the sprinkler on and off when I want, without affecting the return and / or circulation.
Hello,
I know you have a hard side AGP but you may want to look at my thread about this same thing. I added an extra return in the process. Just an idea.
Fountain and Extra Return.

Well here's what I wound up building, its not the best but for $ 15.00, it will do.

s1.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s2.jpg

s5.jpg

Looks good.

I hope I don't derail this thread too badly, but....

your signature says "...3" chlorine pucks in floater, Pool Rover Vacuum, Taylor K-2005 Testkit." I have no problem with the vacuum. The pucks are another story. You're just adding and adding CYA to the pool. Have you tested the level lately? If it's above 60, your minimum free chlorine is going to be higher than that color-matching test block can read.

It is possible to manage a pool with high CYA; I did it all last summer by necessity. But I had to maintain FC up in the neighborhood of 20, which required the FAS-DPD test. Not all is lost for you, however, that test is available separately, which will essentially upgrade your K-2005 to a K-2006.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm currently using pucks, but I've ordered the liquid chlorine injector. My CYA right now is at 28, so I'm fine for now.

Well the next one I build, will have either smaller or fewer holes, to get a little more pressure from it.

Just a note. Some people point the aerator jets down slightly into the water as shown in this post which has the advantage of involving a larger surface area of the water in getting churned up. Also, pointing other returns up with the pump on high also works to some extent. You are correct that making the holes smaller to get a faster and narrower jet action would be beneficial, but probably better if directed somewhat towards the pool surface unless your goal was more of cooling the water via evaporation.

Maybe try a D-shape loop with two elbows and a short straight. Then drill all three sections to create a fanning spray?

Just a note. Some people point the aerator jets down slightly into the water as shown in this post which has the advantage of involving a larger surface area of the water in getting churned up. Also, pointing other returns up with the pump on high also works to some extent. You are correct that making the holes smaller to get a faster and narrower jet action would be beneficial, but probably better if directed somewhat towards the pool surface unless your goal was more of cooling the water via evaporation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.