New to Solar Covers... Need your advice

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
I am researching solar covers for my free form IG gunite pool which is under construction. The hole has just been dug. I didn’t want to install a retractable system for I didn’t have any funds left. One main wall consists of a rock wall which goes just below the water line. This really handicaps me on have decking all the way around the pool. I read about folks cutting their solar covers into various widths. Is this a good idea? How do I keep the wind from blowing the cover off?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Hi Mike,

We have a member, AnnaK, that has an interesting take on solar covers. In fact, I have saved her site to my favs so that DH & I can recheck it again next spring. If you are interested in her idea, she has invited comments/questions. Hope it is ok to put the site here: http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/Solarcover/

Good luck and please keep us posted on your decision.

Joyce

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue with the rock wall but have you considered a manual reel system? I bought the one at the link below which was fairly cheap and certainly easy to use. If you concern with the wall is that you cannot put the reel on that side, you can put the reel off center. i.e. anywhere over the pool. It's a little more inconvenient to use off centered but none the less still easily manageable.

http://www.waterwarehouse.com/products/ ... ystem.html

As previously mentioned in this thread, the cover can be cut to size with a scissor. I needed to do that for my pool as they do not sell a straight back kidney cover. One thing to keep in mind when setting the reel off center: is to cut the cover a little larger than needed because of how the cover gets attached to the reel. You will lose approximately 2 to 3 inched in length.

I wish the reel system would have mentioned that before I cut my cover! :oops:

WRGT the cover and wind, if its cut right it will "adhere" to the surface nicely and wind doesn't really catch it unless there is a spot where it sticks up, out, or over.

Don't know what you mean about "about cutting solar covers to various widths" but one person cuts their cover into 5 equal pieces and removes each section one at a time by hand ( no reel). Seems like a good idea until I ordered my 20x40 12 mil cover. It is heavy and the thought of me cutting mine into 8x20 lengths and removing by hand seemed too much trouble so I ordered a reel the next day. ( I under estimated the size and weight).
I have yet to trim my cover to fit nicely, but I plam on somehow making a seam (or using tape) to make the cut side studier.

Other than the advertising, I'm not sure if there is a true difference between the colors but I am extremely happy with the Blue Black. The only downside is it only heats the top foot or two. When you jump in it is ridiculously hot and then ridiculously cold underneath. Once swirled you get the hot and cold spots. Once fully swirled, it is fine.

Another thread on this website discusses that a clear cover does not create this issue, but as I do not have one, I cannot comment.

To cool it off you can run your pump at night through the solar heater to cool it off or aerate the pool. I'm not aware of one that reflects it all back. Maybe a white type cover would?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.