Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Solar Covers... Need your advice

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Solar Covers... Need your advice

I am researching solar covers for my free form IG gunite pool which is under construction. The hole has just been dug. I didn’t want to install a retractable system for I didn’t have any funds left. One main wall consists of a rock wall which goes just below the water line. This really handicaps me on have decking all the way around the pool. I read about folks cutting their solar covers into various widths. Is this a good idea? How do I keep the wind from blowing the cover off?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

2. Back To Top    #2
    The covers are made to be able to "customize" the shape by cutting them.

I just ordered my first one (18x36 12 mil blue - $117 shipped) from intheswim.com, so I'm a nube at these also.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    Hi Mike,

We have a member, AnnaK, that has an interesting take on solar covers. In fact, I have saved her site to my favs so that DH & I can recheck it again next spring. If you are interested in her idea, she has invited comments/questions. Hope it is ok to put the site here: http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/Solarcover/

Good luck and please keep us posted on your decision.

Joyce
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue with the rock wall but have you considered a manual reel system? I bought the one at the link below which was fairly cheap and certainly easy to use. If you concern with the wall is that you cannot put the reel on that side, you can put the reel off center. i.e. anywhere over the pool. It's a little more inconvenient to use off centered but none the less still easily manageable.

http://www.waterwarehouse.com/products/ ... ystem.html

As previously mentioned in this thread, the cover can be cut to size with a scissor. I needed to do that for my pool as they do not sell a straight back kidney cover. One thing to keep in mind when setting the reel off center: is to cut the cover a little larger than needed because of how the cover gets attached to the reel. You will lose approximately 2 to 3 inched in length.

I wish the reel system would have mentioned that before I cut my cover!
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

5. Back To Top    #5
    I'm considering buying one. Is there any difference between Blue/Blue, Blue/Black and Blue/Aluminum? I know what the marketing says but just wanted to know from real users.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

6. Back To Top    #6
    WRGT the cover and wind, if its cut right it will "adhere" to the surface nicely and wind doesn't really catch it unless there is a spot where it sticks up, out, or over.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Don't know what you mean about "about cutting solar covers to various widths" but one person cuts their cover into 5 equal pieces and removes each section one at a time by hand ( no reel). Seems like a good idea until I ordered my 20x40 12 mil cover. It is heavy and the thought of me cutting mine into 8x20 lengths and removing by hand seemed too much trouble so I ordered a reel the next day. ( I under estimated the size and weight).
    I have yet to trim my cover to fit nicely, but I plam on somehow making a seam (or using tape) to make the cut side studier.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

8. Back To Top    #8

Other than the advertising, I'm not sure if there is a true difference between the colors but I am extremely happy with the Blue Black. The only downside is it only heats the top foot or two. When you jump in it is ridiculously hot and then ridiculously cold underneath. Once swirled you get the hot and cold spots. Once fully swirled, it is fine.

Another thread on this website discusses that a clear cover does not create this issue, but as I do not have one, I cannot comment.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Next question...

Is there a solar cover which I can use to reflect the sun/heat during the warm (ok..hot) Texas summers? I don't want to end up heating the pool to boiling...
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

10. Back To Top    #10
    To cool it off you can run your pump at night through the solar heater to cool it off or aerate the pool. I'm not aware of one that reflects it all back. Maybe a white type cover would?
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!