Is there such thing as a top of the water cleaner?

Aug 26, 2010
Louisiana
Hello,
I know there are all kinds of pool cleaning apparatuses, Robots,and the things that work on the pressure side and suction side of your pump. What I want to know is there something similar that skims the top of the water and hooks up similar to help clear excess bugs and trash, helping your skimmer system?

I have an Intex Ultra Frame 16x32x52" rectangle pool that I just add the new 2650 Intex saltwater/sandfilter, the skimmer on these pools leave a lot to be desired. I also live in the country and we have a new flying ant that started invading my pool last year. The skimmer just can not keep up, everything else is out there far the pools, so there has bound to be something to help the skimmers.

Your help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

+1 for the PoolSkim :goodjob:

I have added it this year to our larger pool and its some of the best money I ever spent on our pool.

We have Japanese Maples and several types of Oaks near the pool. And since we are in Georgia, we have more yellow pine pollen then we know what to do with. The "helicopters" off the Japanese Maples were no match for the PoolSkim. I used to have to empty the main skimmer basket several times a day, now with the PoolSkim, I have been able to go a couple of days between clean outs. The Pool Skim did a great job on all the cherry and bradford pear blossoms also.

The Oaks get the long furry pollen things on them before the new leaves push them off into the pool along with the dead leaves from last year on some types of oaks (the big one closest to the pool is the type that doesn't lose dead leaves until the spring new leaves come out). The PoolSkim has handled the large oak leaves and the oak pollen strings.

I have noticed that once the PoolSkim bag has about 3 to 4 inches of debris in the bag that it starts to make a very good pine pollen grabber. Normally this time of year I will have a three eights to half inch high line of pine pollen at the high water mark on the tile line. This year I am having to search for it. Yes its there but not like it has been.

Just did a Google search and found the Pool Devil Pro. Might be worth a try. For $29.95 you can't go too far wrong. I might just have to buy one myself to see how well it works. It looks like it hooks up to one of your return lines and directs the water through a floating venturi that helps create a circulating current around the pool and draws in the surface debris, directing it into a holding net bag. I recently bought the PoolSkim too and feel that it's also a good alternative, though it costs about $70 more than the Pool Devil. You can order them both from the home page links I provided or from Amazon (though Amazon wants $39 for the Pool Devil + $10.50 shipping).

Hope this helps,

Gary

Edit: Actually, I just ordered one. Got the Pool Devil Pro and a pack of the double capacity replacement leaf socks. The total came to $56.27 with CA tax and UPS ground shipping. I'll give a report on both the PoolSkim and the Pool Devil Pro when the leaves begin to fall.

woodyp said:
zea3

Dang the leaves..........all this pollen is what is killing me! Any insight as to how well it works for that? Is a Qsize kneehigh still your friend?

Hey woodyp, yep use a nylon or skimmer sock on the skimmer basket to catch the really fine stuff. If it is the oak strings then a pool skim will catch them as well.

The PoolSkim makes tiny little gurgling sounds, very soothing, very Zen. It does an excellent job clearing floating debris off the water's surface: leaves, bugs, pollens, dog hair. When it's installed to manufacturer's specs it boosts water circulation. I have an oval AGP and tested the circulation once by dropping some ping-pong balls upstream from the skimmer inlet. They missed the skimmer but were sucked in by the PoolSkim. I then dropped them downstream from the PoolSkim and they traveled around the pool in no time at all.

One drawback is that the device is a little cumbersome to remove, at least with my system. I couldn't use a quick connector. But, since it doesn't get in the way of swimming or playing and since it does do such a nice job of circulating the water I leave it in all season. I don't use an automatic cleaner and don't need the outlet for anything.

Photos are on my Website, link in my sig line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a handy gadget called The Pool Skim that attaches to the return line of the pool. I have one and it works very well. You would need to modify the plumbing to work with your intex pool. Check out the Census Poll on Intex users thread to see some of the plumbing modifications other intex users have added to their pools.
I can not find any threads of Intex owners plumbing modifications for the PoolSkim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.